I've lost my mojo...

Try forcing yourself to shoot every day or every week. Find a project 52 or project 365 list online and start there... Even cliche photos can inspire you to do more.

Stop telling yourself you've "lost your mojo"--that is a rationalization for doing little to nothing with your photography. If you want to get back on the right track, then do it, a step at a time, beginning today. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. One. Single. Step. The FIRST step in the journey is as important as the 10,959th step is. Without the first step, there will be no others.

Make a goal for the day, something involving you, a camera, and a lens. Make progress toward that goal. Maybe even achieve that goal. Whatever you do, get the H.M.S. Nerwin out of port, and into open water! Do it today! Cast off the mooring lines. Back her away from the dock, then swing the bow around, head toward open water, and get that MF'ing ship under way. Act like the captain, and not some underpaid swabbie.

I had some fun today and made this out of parts in my scrap drawer. I cut a hole in the center for use with my macro lens, but I didn't like it so I mounted it on a cheapie tripod my Zoom H1 came with and will just use it as side light or at least until I order a flash. Still it puts off some rather good light for what it is.

Erwin-160105-1274.jpg

Picture of my lazy cat using the homemade light I made and my 105 2.8G.

DSC_7279.JPG

I dunno, its kind of interesting and got my mind back into photography a little bit.

I had some fun today and made this out of parts in my scrap drawer. I cut a hole in the center for use with my macro lens, but I didn't like it so I mounted it on a cheapie tripod my Zoom H1 came with and will just use it as side light or at least until I order a flash. Still it puts off some rather good light for what it is.

View attachment 113945

Picture of my lazy cat using the homemade light I made and my 105 2.8G.

View attachment 113946

I dunno, its kind of interesting and got my mind back into photography a little bit.
Nerwin, I'm in snow country and we have had no real winter for years. This year the snow is back and it's like my photog bug came back like a reformed addict accidentally catching a buzz. Everywhere I look I see a shot. Aaugh...but my 645 is acting up and all I've got is my wife's Canon G6 with an iffy battery. Normally I could afford a used D700 with a used AIS 1.8 anything but it sure looks like my job is, after 30 years, kaput, so buying what I want ain't gonna happen. Like your light project!

Awesome project and good initiative, Nerwin!

I seldom carry my main camera unless I'm being compensated for it.
I have gotten to the point where I use my cellphone 90% of the time.
It's quite liberating.
If you're even 1% unsure about a photography career, just do something else.
The money is horrible.

Checkout the two sets of catch lights in the cats eyes!!
Wow!

Last edited:
What are some things I can do indoors where its warm during the winter season that could help to get my mojo back?
What about photography indoors, in your own room.
Take macro photos of st00pid figurines, gardengnomes, trolls,... plants/flowers if necessary...

Try to make dull stuff look great, it's a challenge.
Play with light, dof, backgrounds, compositions...
At least you feel like you're busy with something in your warm cosy space, while it's raining and windy outside.

I don't shoot that much anymore but when I'd get hung up in the past I'd go to the local zoo or wildlife park. Here I go to the Homosassa Wildlife Park and there is always a bird or an animal worth a few shots. Of course the CHALLENGE is to get photos that don't look like they were shot in a zoo or park!

That's a really cool catchlight that creates in the kitty's eyes.

I've been having the same issue. I feel burned out on what's around here to photograph, to be honest. That being said, I've been up to my old tricks selling crap on eBay, so I'm behind a camera more and more lately. Still a commercial photographer, but it's been slow lately. Trying to make some extra cash.

Over the years I have noticed I take less and less photos, but those photos get better and better. Quality is much more important than quantity.

Yes, go travel. It's scary and you may not ever be ready for it, but it will change your life and who you are for the better. You could meet people who will inspire you and motivate you and bring incredible opportunity into your life, and have amazing experiences that you will never forget. I randomly decided one day to move to San Francisco from Portland Oregon, and that's where I met my mentor Riley Johndonnell, creator of Surface Magazine. His guidance helped me grow a lot both as a person, and as an artist. As well, I decided one day that I would move to New York City (coincidentally I moved in with my mentor who had also moved from SF to NYC), and while I was there I landed an internship with a very well known fashion photographer named Michael Thompson. That internship taught me a LOT, and I am so grateful. None of it would have happened had I decided to stay in my hometown. The point of this is, GO TRAVEL. A good way to get started is to look for seasonal work in tourist towns. Go be a zipline instructor in Mexico or work in a dive shop in the Bahamas. Before you know it, you will be too old to do the things you want. Or you could die next week.

Last edited:
Mojo.jpg
Go to Bangladesh, get a bottle of MOJO and drink it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back