I've lost my mojo...

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure it has a lot to do with the cold winter season and being stuck indoors. I really hate the cold and I was born and raised in Vermont, go figure right?

Well lately I feel like I have been losing my mojo. I find my self picking up my camera less and less as time goes on. This is evident when I was going through my Lightroom library and reorganizing my photos, I noticed each year was less and less photos.

Photography has been my only hobby that has stuck with me through the years and I certainly don't want to give it up. I'm hoping someday it could turn into a career.

A lot of people say I should go travel, sure I'd love to if they are willing to pay for it. Besides I'm not even allowed on a plane currently. (Stupid legal issues, working on it).

Anyways, I'm not looking to travel right now. I want to know what you guys do when feel like I do, I'm sure every photographer has experienced this before, perhaps more than once.

What are some things I can do indoors where its warm during the winter season that could help to get my mojo back?

would start with repeated viewings of the classic Muddy Waters rendition of the song I've Got My Mojo Workin':

What keeps me doing photography is using my camera with limited gear. Other photographers got themselves with full frames, fast lenses, and Gary Fong's products. They get so fancy with shallow dof and lighting. I challenge myself to get the right composition and get the right moment to capture people actions. I'm just having fun and not taking photography seriously.

My background is in writing and editing. You've probably heard of a little thing called Writer's Block. When I was younger, it used to plague me all the time, and would set me back for months. Then when I started taking real classes and working with professionals, I discovered that they all used the same method to combat it: B. I. C. It stands for Butt In Chair.

No matter how crappy or uninspired you feel, you sit your butt in that chair and write. It could be the stupidest thing that anyone's ever written in the history of the world, but you write it anyway. The only thing that can't be edited and improved is a blank page.

So I apply the same thing to photography. Get your camera out and take pictures. They'll probably be terrible. They'll probably be stupid. But if you do it every day, the creative part of your brain eventually gets used to being used and will start to respond. And if you keep going, that part will begin to pipe up even when you're not trying. And that's when the magic will happen.

There are dozens of 30 day photo challenges out there that would get you started, or you could just do a series on one thing that interests you. Just try to get out of the mind frame that you have to do it well, and just focus on doing something. And if you need to be accountable to someone, you've got a whole forum here that would love to kick your butt into gear. :)

I used to shoot a lot more frames than I do now, but now I'm a bit more experienced my number of frames is down but my keeper rate is up. I'm also more picky about my shots but I don't see that as a bad thing.

I give myself monthly projects. Last month was my Pentax MX, Agfa Vista colour film and a theme of yellow - 24 frames all including yellow in some way. I also took my Petri 7s with me all month and took many frames that did not include yellow at all. Looking for yellow means you will see so much that is not yellow!

This month my camera will be my Bronica ETRS, Kodak Portra film (400 ASA and 15 frames) and a theme of bicycles. I shall also take one of my 35mm folders with me for non-bicycle pictures.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

If you have hobbies try to take photos of that hobby. Learn to be more creative.

I also take a lot fewer shots than when I first started.
But I also know that is due to being more picky about the composition, etc. making sure I get the shot versus just a bunch of shots.

I'm currently bored too in the cold 11 degree weather that moved in. But I'm trying to create some artistic shots of my musical instruments. working on the lighting (shiny brass reflects easily) and stuff like that. It' more of a challenge / experimental than anything. But it keeps my technical stuff sharp and makes me really think about the shot.

I have limited lighting gear but I'm trying to use the available lighting gear and lighting I have or can find do portraits of my wife. Especially now with it being winter and the days being shorter and colder and being inside more. Trying to find cool things laying around the house to use as backgrounds and what effects I can get from them by trying to combine some clever lighting. Even made a DIY ring light the other day for under $20 that has me pretty exited. These things have me thinking, planning and shooting way more lately.

I have limited lighting gear but I'm trying to use the available lighting gear and lighting I have or can find do portraits of my wife. Especially now with it being winter and the days being shorter and colder and being inside more. Trying to find cool things laying around the house to use as backgrounds and what effects I can get from them by trying to combine some clever lighting. Even made a DIY ring light the other day for under $20 that has me pretty exited. These things have me thinking, planning and shooting way more lately.

That gives me idea actually. I have a box full of LED strips that I used on my old desk. I should get my soldering iron out and make a big LED light and use it.

You posted a thread earlier about getting a compact camera for easier carrying and use. Do it. Nothing helps you take more photos more often than having the camera ready and waiting. My compact is on my desk right now. I'll be going out shopping with my wife in about an hour -- I'm not going to grab the camera bag and take the serious camera along shopping, but the compact is going. That camera goes with me everywhere I go because it fits in my jacket pocket. I take some photo of something nearly every day. I'll see something in the bleepin' parking lot and take a photo. Having the camera with you makes a huge difference.

Joe

What keeps me doing photography is using my camera with limited gear. Other photographers got themselves with full frames, fast lenses, and Gary Fong's products. They get so fancy with shallow dof and lighting. I challenge myself to get the right composition and get the right moment to capture people actions. I'm just having fun and not taking photography seriously.
Greetings from a kindred spirit!

I think the biggest problem is you don't have a favourite genre and just shoot anything
I found this in one of your other threads

The_Traveler said:
You seem to be confounding content with style.
When I see people who shoot a lot of lots of different things, they often seem to have no particular 'style' because they are essentially just pointing at what they see that is interesting at the moment and taking the picture - as it is.
People who go further than that are using their own particular feelings about the situation to be expressed in how they take and edit the picture.
Typically people with such specific ideas develop their own very specific ways of shooting and that often limits the content to that which fits the style.
For example, Chris (Binga) has a very distinct style that probably wouldn't work for landscapes although it might for wildlife. The content is less important than the expression of it.
Sometimes style overwhelms content like much overdone HDR or pointless street photography.

My feeling is that people who shoot 'everything' often shoot nothing specific very, very well.
If that's the case, then what I'm doing is a waste of time. Maybe photography isn't for me. Hmm, something I'll have to think about.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back