Jack Of All Trades?

I'm still sorta finding myself. I prefer to take photos of people as opposed to places and things, but I take what I can to bring some initial capital in the door for future investing. My Services page, as recently as yesterday actually, was just changed to list only three main categories essentially: Portraits, Weddings/Quiceaneras, and Commercial/Editorial. I took out Sporting Events (and something else) just because in didn't fit in that elegant box (unless I come up with some creative way of marketing it as such).

Overall, my two cents is that you can do as many different kinds of photography as you want as long as your brand image is clear and the range of things you offer isn't confusing.

I photographer people in general (weddings, families, kids, etc...) although my niche is in boudoir. I think that some people can do many things well. :D

I'll take on most any project, but only if I have some background in the sort of work.

I do all sorts of portrait work.
I am not a fashion photographer.

I do a good deal of commercial photography.
I am not an automotive photographer. but I have done lift trucks (fork lifts). I have limited experience with furniture.

I do some industrial photography.
I haven't done much illustrative photography.

I've done my share of candid weddings.
I'm not a photojournalist.

I've done dances (proms), memory mates (sports, church events) and school photography. One church directory.

I do architectural photography (exteriors, interiors, some aerial).
I'm limited here mostly by my equipment. I will rent on occasion.

I've done evidence photography (accident scenes, victem injury).
I've never done anything medical.

I know my limits, and will not take on a job unless I'm confident I can satisfy the client.

As for pros and cons... there are many. One of the biggest differences that comes to mind is: when taking on larger projects, I usually have more direction from the client, with an abosute end result specified. And, theres one billing and payment at the end. With smaller, comsumer sort of work, there're many contacts with the client (booking, consult, session, proofs, order and delivery) often with a series of installment payments. And with potaiture and weddings, there's proofing, printing and packaging, so cost of materials is greater.

I enjoy it all.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back