Japanese Garden in infrared

xs400

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.xsrider.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took this shot at the Japanese Garden in the central park in San Mateo, CA. Used my Pentax K100D, 18-55mm kit lens, and a R72 IR filter.

pagoda1.jpg

I really like this, though I wish I could see more of the house.

I've always wanted to get into IR, but every time I start reading about shooting IR with digital I always find something about having to remove a low-pass filter from the sensor and that turns me off.

Did you have to alter your K100D any, xs400? I shoot with a K110D so I'm pretty curious about your setup or anything you had to do to the camera.

Did you have to alter your K100D any, xs400? I shoot with a K110D so I'm pretty curious about your setup or anything you had to do to the camera.

I did not alter my K100D. I just use a Hoya R72 IR filter. Here's my EXIF for the above shot:
1/2 sec
F 8.0
ISO 200
18-55mm at 24mm
RAW
Custom light balance

The K110D should perform similar to the K100D. The R72 IR filter is an inexpensive toy. At least I have fun with it. (Since you have a K110D, you might want to check out pentaxforums.com)

Great shot, the white tree on the right is really neat.

This is an excellent IR shot. Very well done. :thumbup::thumbup:

Wow, that is a really neat shot! About how expensive are the IR filters?

Thanks for your nice comments.
A 52mm R72 IR filter cost about $40. I shoot in RAW and the shot, there is post processing required to get the colors you see above. I use Photoshop CS2.

This link - http://digitalphotographer.com.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=5931 - has a good description of the post processing using Photoshop. Note that in the link, the camera used is a Pentax K10 and the K10 requires much longer exposure times than my K100D. I think the K100D is well suited for IR photography using a Hoya R72 filter.

I also wrote something up here http://www.xsrider.com/infrared/infrared.htm but it needs to be updated - I have improved my technique since I wrote that.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing all this, xs400. I've been wanting to get into this for a while, just never really could find a good starting point.

excellent shot well produced....it must have been a very still day as wind is the biggest factor in using a filter. I'm using a converted 300D, love the effects....used to use IR film years ago, digital is so much easier.

Most reactions

Back