Jeanette on the streets *May not be work safe*

there's more to content than can be effectively determined by a publicity survey; the value of how it is received publicly depends on the intended use of the photo also. art doesn't have to be appreciated to be art.
most people don't know what the hell they want or like anyway, so their preference is dust in the wind

Agreed. However, if you're going to criticize something I believe you've got to put a little more thought into that critique rather than just saying 'I don't like the pics and I haven't even bothered to look at them' How many people are going to even give a statement like that any credibility? and if you don't want anybody to take your words with any credibility then you're down to little more than verbal self gratification.

It's the difference between genuine constructive criticism and just being negative about something because it's not to your personal taste.

There was a time (not too long ago, infact) when a higher volume of this negativity prevailed on our forum than what is currently being observed. It's a good thing to see that most of it has dissipated and the blood-letting has subsided. It was often entertaining to watch the negativists struggle for dominance. This forum is getting sweeter with age. It's really starting to bloom. And that's a compliment of the highest order.

ant, while i think your intentions are good... bashing someone for not providing a constructive critique is, in itself, not constructive. maybe you didn't realize you were bashing
if you don't like annette's opinion, then just say so and let that be the end plz :wink:

*shakes hands*

StvShoop said:
ant, while i think your intentions are good... bashing someone for not providing a constructive critique is, in itself, not constructive. maybe you didn't realize you were bashing
if you don't like annette's opinion, then just say so and let that be the end plz :wink:

*shakes hands*

Yeah I suppose you're right. *shakes hands*

Anyway, I've just posted my first pic in the critique forum so I'd be perfectly happy for Annette to go over and tell me that my photo sucks :wink: :D

Ant said:
Annette said:
Yes, that's a good point and I agree to some extent, but there's a line between putting forward valid constructive criticism and just posting an opinion because you want to make a personal point or a moral judgement, which may not be at all constructive to the subject at hand.

In your example of the poo photo (good one :lol:) telling the photographer that poo isn't a very good subject is perfectly valid criticism, because chances are that most people will feel the same way as you and so the photographer will move on to taking pics of more pleasing subjects, which will reach a larger potential audience. So you've helped him/her in a way.

However, in this case it's quite obvious that many many people....most men in fact, are rather partial to photos of attractive women and always have been, so your criticism of the subject matter is totally non-constructive, because you're not only going against the grain of mass opinion, but you won't make the photographer change the subject matter either.....you haven't helped anybody with your criticism!

For example, landscape pics mostly just don't do anything for me at all. No matter how well they're shot or how technically competent they are I just think most of them are boring....that's just me. So if I see a thread with a landscape photo in it I just don't comment, unless I can say something constructive, because I know that many people do like landscape photos and no matter what I say people aren't going to stop taking them.

It's the difference between genuine constructive criticism and just being negative about something because it's not to your personal taste. Your initial post just came across to me as the latter rather than the former.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion of course, but one thing I've learned about internet discussion forums (fora?) is that if you post your opinion then expect somebody to occasionally challenge it.

Besides, if everybody always agreed with everybody else then places like this would be really boring and nobody would learn anything. :)

Your judging me, based on words. You don't have a tone or facial expression in which to apply your assumptions. You are giving more meaning and emotion to what I posted then is actually there. Perhaps that's my fault, but I don't think that justifies you digging at me for giggles.

Are your comments productive and helpful to the person who posted photos? Not in context of the technical quality of the photos.

I simply commented that I did not appreciate the content. I don't have an issue with nudes - but I bet you think I do. As someone else said, they look like snapshots. They have little artistic merit.

Disagree if you like but your comments are not productive or helpful to anyone.

Ant said:
StvShoop said:

*shakes hands*

Anyway, I've just posted my first pic in the critique forum so I'd be perfectly happy for Annette to go over and tell me that my photo sucks :wink: :D

That was completely BS and uncalled for.

I'd like to see sharper focus, a lot less DOF, and no flash from anywhere near the camera. None of these images by itself really pops, but I can see a style starting to develop. Keep working on it.

As far as smut vs. art goes, they have been intertwined since the first fertility goddess was sculpted out of mud. I like it because it's smutty, and arty. :D

Annette said:
Ant said:
StvShoop said:

*shakes hands*

That was completely BS and uncalled for.

Yes. Looking at it a day after I posted it does seem to come across in a tone a little harsher than it was meant. Apologies if it caused offense. It was just supposed to be light hearted to show that I don't hold any grudges but sometimes tone can be difficult to get across on the internet...even with emoticons. No genuine offence or sarcasm was meant.

I wasn't having a go at you for giggles, now you're making an assumption about me; but I suppose you could say I'm guilty of that about you so I can't really complain.

I'm afraid that your initial post did come across to me as being very judgemental and negative, which is why I took issue with it. If that wasn't your intention then again. apologies for the misunderstanding.

I do feel, however, that if somebody can't say anything constructive about a photo then they shouldn't say anything at all, and as far as I could see your initial post contained nothing constructive whatsoever. That's just my opinion though and if you disagree then we'll just have to agree to differ.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back