Jessops 35mm - How does it compare to major brands?

ted_smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've searched the net for a detailed 'scientific' review, but alas, nothing can be found.

I am interested to know how the 35mm film sold by Jessops is. I realise it cannot compare against the quality of Fujifilm etc, but I was curious to know how good it actually is, and where it 'rates' against all the other brands as a product.

Does anyone know of such a review and where I could read it, and if not, does anyone know generally how it compares? I use it a lot because for every film I send to them for development, they send me a free replacement. It takes good prints for my day-to-day photography (obviously I'd not use it for a commercial event) but I do notice a difference when I use Fujifilm, but I'm never quite sure how much of the difference is due to the film and how much of it is due to the circumstances of the particular shots - being a comparative idiot against most TPF users!

Cheers

Ted

You could always do a 'controlled' test (same subject, same conditions, locked tripod, same lens, same aperture/shutter speed etc) using both films.

See if you can figure out who makes it. Jessops doesn't, nor is it specially made for them. It's some known brand relabeled. If you can figure out which country it's made in that's a start. If it's made in England it's Ilford.

I believe they used to use different companies at different times, depending on wholesale film prices etc. so you may not get consistent results over a period of time, or even between branches... (Bit like the advice they sometimes give you as well...)

Just a quick update on the Jessops film - I've been trawling the internet and found the general consensus is that if it is made in Germany it is Agfa; if made in Italy it's probably Ferrania.

Just to put a spanner in the works, I've just been given a roll, and it's made in the USA!! - Kodak ???

The plot thickens then! :)

Mind you, Agfa a OK, aren't they? And if it's Kodak, then bravo :) (although I realise they will do varying quality films)

I have used Jessops slide film years ago and it was awful (horrible blue tint and grainy) but I have used a few rolls of colour over the years (don't know which make though) and it was ok, although you are really in the hands of the lab on prints.
I am only guessing (wildly) on the USA film being Kodak though, so don't take it as definite!

I think for general purpose shooting there's nothing wrong with the stuff, as I said earlier, you are really in the hands of the labs but if you are scanning you can always get over any colour balance problems easily.

Most reactions

Back