Jetty. Single HDR.

Dragonfly..shotz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I tried this HDR (is it termed HDR?) from a single RAW file with two saved exposures above and two below and the 5 images merged with photomatix, tone mapped and processed. Finding tone mapping tricky but like the result short of bracketing in the camera. Looking forward to trying that next. Would apprciate any cc for the two here, thanks very much.

hdr_jetty_ruins_2385_edit.jpg

img_3567__eagle_perch_hdr.jpg

See, this is why I shoot film. You can pick an image made with digital capture from a mile away. I didn't even have to see the camera used.

You might try posting this in the beginner's forum. You'll get many more responses. Here you'll probably get asked what film did you use.

By the by, they look nice.

I moved this to the Graphics Forum and Gallery since it's an HDR image; not appropriate in the Alternative forum.

The shots are both very lovely!

See, this is why I shoot film. You can pick an image made with digital capture from a mile away. I didn't even have to see the camera used.

You might try posting this in the beginner's forum. You'll get many more responses. Here you'll probably get asked what film did you use.

By the by, they look nice.

Sorry about that mate. I didn't realise I had posted these in a film forum. I do admire photographers that use film.

I moved this to the Graphics Forum and Gallery since it's an HDR image; not appropriate in the Alternative forum.

The shots are both very lovely!

Thanks Terri for moving it. After reading a sticky on HDR in this forum it seems these images are frowned upon, not true HDR. The next step for me is to merge three bracketed photos in photomatix. I bought the software recently and have been practicing tone mapping after seeing a tutorial on how to create a HDR from one raw file. Thats what i have done in the two photos above.

Thanks PNA, your a champ. Showed me you can brighten the foreground. Is it ok to ask what you did to get that result? Thanks mate, That's the look I would like for the photo.

This is one I tried yesterday by bracketing the image in the camera AEB and now I merge three exposures in photomatix and tone map them. Any cc for bracketing or tone mapping would be great, thank you.

lyndhurst_farm_house_.jpg

Here's the history from PS....hope it makes sense.

2008-11-08T16:26:32-05:00 File hdr_jetty_ruins_2385_edit[1].jpg opened
Open C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UFH3O3TQ\hdr_jetty_ruins_2385_edit[1].jpg
Close Saving: no
Color Balance
Color Balance Shadow Levels: -8, 0, -14
Midtone Levels: 18, 0, -17
Highlight Levels: 0, 0, 0
With Preserve Luminosity
Shadow/Highlight
Shadow/Highlight Shadow: Parameters
Amount: 26%
Tone Width: 50%
Radius: 105
Highlight: Parameters
Amount: 32%
Tone Width: 50%
Radius: 98
Black Clip: 0.01
White Clip: 0.01
Contrast: 34
Color Correction: 20
2008-11-08T16:29:27-05:00 File C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UFH3O3TQ\hdr_jetty_ruins_2385_edit[1].jpg saved
Save
Unsharp Mask
Unsharp Mask Amount: 50%
Radius: 0.5 pixels
Threshold: 0
2008-11-08T16:29:54-05:00 File C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UFH3O3TQ\hdr_jetty_ruins_2385_edit[1].jpg saved

I just thought I'd mention that the first two are not true HDR, because they come from the same exposure.

If the last one came from three shots, each a different exposure, then yes, it is a true HDR. (and my favourite of the three, too)

Thanks Harmony. You are correct, the first two are single file. The third pic is auto bracketed and merged in photomatix. It was my first true HDR...here is another one taken with auto exposure bracketing. The next stp for me is trying manual exposures and more of them.

jacaranda_lane_4036_7_8_ps.jpg

very nice! i love the last one with the purple. i have also just recently started trying HDR images, but i havnt had a chance to shoot a good landscape or anything exciting..... - just my boring backyard

Most reactions

Back