Jewelry - Pearl Necklace, C&C please.

Kenh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.explore-photography.com
My wife has been making Jewelry lately so I of course said I would photograph it for her ;)

Let me know what you think....Is the background too much?

Pearl-necklace.jpg

Personally , I'd use a satin background to go with the necklace. Everything else is nice and smooth so the fur just doesn't really fit IMHO.

I'd like to see a deeper DOF...with this composition anyway.
I don't necessarily mind that only the front of the necklace is in focus...but I don't like that it's right at the bottom of the frame.

Also, with the way the ribbon crosses and is white on red, that's where my eye wants to look, I think the angle & positioning could be improved so that the pearls are more prevalent.

I like the colors, but it looks like you have more light toward the back than the front.

I like the fur. Satin, silk black plexi and vinyl is the normal. Way to look outside the box! I do agree that the composition is off. The cross creates a visual bullseye. Just uncross. then your bright lighting is at top. Just feather the light so the front is brighter than the back. That will help keep your eye in the front on the main jewelry.

I don't care for the fur texture with the pearls. Have you considered going to your local Home Depot and getting a piece of tile? I think the reflective nature would go well with the pearls. They are many colors and patterns to play with.

I'm trying to light this glass skull (unsucessfully so far :meh:), but I light the reflection.

764235780_qsAeS-XL.jpg

Just a thought.​

Bazooka, I agree with you on the lighting. I actually got the opposite of what I was going for.....I hate to admit it, but I think I uploaded the wrong image. :meh:

kundalini, Glass is tough. It reflects everything. That is a pretty good shot. Have you tried shooting it on a white background and using black reflectors on each side to define the glass?

You may or may not be interested but there is a standard method for shooting jewellry. The jewellry is placed on a light table and shot through a reflective dome which can be purchased from a photo supply store.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back