Jewelry Photography and PC integration? PLEASE HELP!?

amayer1025

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a software/web designer and I'm doing a website for a client who wants me to photograph his inventory and display it online for sale. Here are the questions I have:

1. What camera should I purchase? I understand I will have to put out a few bucks but am looking to spend as little as I can to accomplish the task.
Camera needs to be capable of remote live viewing/capturing. I would like to be able to control it from my desktop pc. I also have to be able to create scripts or batch commands so that I can select an appropriate script for certain jewelry such as rings or necklaces and the camera will use predetermined focus points, shutter speed, & aperature etc. I also need to be able to batch crop and resize the images. I am setting up a table that will have the tripod mounted and I will have the jewelry displays setup so they are in the same spot consistently except when i swap out a finger prop for a ring to a necklace prop or earring prop. So to summarize what I'm trying to accomplish:
  • [*=2]Camera can be controlled from pc (live view / capture)[*=2]Camera settings can be automated from script or batch commands (focus point/shutter/aperature/etc)[*=2]Ability to size images according to script and auto-crop and Sequentially Name Images
I have tons of lighting equipment as I have tried to accomplish this some time ago and bought a canon which happened to be unable to remote capture etc, and at the time I also realized my need for batch settings and auto crop etc I have lighting boxes, light stands, and other misc stuff.

Sorry for the ranting and unorganized post, but bottom line is this:
What camera can I purchase that can accomplish everything mentioned above, without breaking the bank. Also I'm not looking for perfection as Im new to photography and am looking for decent/acceptable images, not complete perfection.

Why don't you just outsource the photography to a professional? Might be cheaper than buying something you may not use in the future. Also, your idea of acceptable may not be what your client thinks. This is their product and no matter what they say now, they want it to look perfect on their website.

thanks for your input christina, but outsourcing is not cost effective and this camera setup will be used alot as it will be used to add new inventory as it comes in. Anyone else have any input as to what camera to buy?

Most reactions

Back