Jewelry Store Photography Project

I'd say start learning photography but hire a pro to do it for the first few times until you can start getting to the point where you half way know what your doing. Let the photography know up front what's going on, don't try and hide the fact and then learn over his shoulder. be up front and find someone willing to work with you. this will create a good relationship and give you someone you can maybe turn to if the work gets to be too much for you and you need to bring someone back in to help.

Is your store website a sales portal, with a substantial percentage of sales coming from it?
If its not, I would argue that you shouldn't bother putting your entire inventory online.
Your web sales would have to pay for the time involved in upkeep, and management.
Most stores put a few examples of lines they carry, Tracori, Simon G, Gottliebs, Troll Beads, for example.
Most stores want to get the customer in to the store to make a sale.
If your website isn't generating a decent percentage of online sales, the then showroom is subsidizing a loss.

If your goal is to generate sales, then you need to take a minimum of 3 images to show each item in 3 views.
Now your talking about 1500 images!

I would argue that it could take a part time person six months to finish this, and if you turn over that inventory in six months like you say, you will never, ever, keep up.

Also, people who shop online are typically looking for a better price than your retail brick and mortar.
That's why places like Blue Nile are a success. They are undercutting retailers big time!

:D

Never mind the rest of us yahoos. When it comes to jewelry photography, ^^THAT is the guy you wanna listen to! :D

I remember my first "product" photoshoot. I went in with my camera, lens, and some lamps. Oh man it was bad. It was a favor for a friend or I would have never even attempted it. Best of luck to you. You can learn how to do this but it will not be any time soon. If your website is generating that much sales then the smart BUSINESS DECISION would be to hire a professional while you train yourself and learn how to be a photographer first and then step into product photography.

However, if your project isn't time sensitive and being complete in a year or 2 isn't a big deal then go for it. Keep your overhead down while you learn a new skill, but don't expect anything close to being a professional anytime soon.

Another strong point - macro lenses can be very expensive. By time you buy a body, macro lens, flashes, soft boxes, remote triggers, etc, you're going to be over $2k at least, and that's starting off with an entry level consumer body like a D3100. Are you sure hiring a pro isn't the better business decision the first time around?

I got the impression that his budget would not be on the low end.

On the upside, his entire product line is of the "small" category, his entire studio can be permanently set up in a corner and left untouched between uses, and for catalog work, he can find "the formula" that will work most of the time (or a handful of formulas/setups).

Given sufficient commitment of time, energy and attention, yhis should be MUCH less than a 3 year learning curve. In 3 to 6 months should probably be able to start producing decent results (shooting 2-3 times a week, getting feedback, and working to improve), . The extra 2.5 years learning curve will still happen... and results will continue to improve to reflect the investment in learning and experience. For example, including model shots w/ the jewelry (editorial work), working with different backgrounds, sets, props, and other setups.

But the initial need for catalog work should be reasonably straightforward (well as straightforward as jewelry CAN be, given the high level requirements for lighting).

Also, I don't think you actually NEED a DSLR for this. An LX* or a G1* (w/ a hotshoe trigger) will do the job, leaving more time, money, and brain space for lighting. If you WANT to learn DSLR for your own reasons, then go for it, but you don't actually NEED it for web catalog work of this type.

taking photo 15*500= 7500 min
editing photos 5* 500= 2500min
unloading we will say 3 hour total for that
that bring us to about 167 hours worth of work to DIY if your good at it I would triple it for your first round

I hadn't done the math but that seems pretty reasonable. Add to that the maintenance time of the equipment and space, cataloging, et.al. and you have made a pretty good case for a half-time staff photographer.

Seems slightly unrealistic to me as far as 167 hours is concerned.

If these are low-res small and similar images for catalogs, I think the 15 min/picture is a significant overestimate.
Once the set-up and lighting has been standardized and a workflow developed, my guess is that it would take many fewer minutes for shooting and editing.

The first ten might take a long time but after that, not so much.

Let's keep it simple. Of course you can do it yourself. Many jewelers do their own photos with no problem. Once you get a photostage and lighting set-up that works you can use it for 99% of your product.
1. Get a DSLR camera that you like with a 100 mm macro lens and and a good tripod.
2. Buy or build a cloth light tent or light box. Research online for more info.
3. Get a couple Ott lamps with the daylight balanced bulbs.
4. Spend a lot of time experimenting until you get it right...or...
5. Hire a pro for a day or two to help you get set up and fine tuned

Once you are set up, just change the jewelry. Keep the pro's number on speed dial, you'll need it for a while

I'd say about 90% of these posts are just garbage. Kidswid, If your serious about Jewelry Photography go for it buddy! I learned from the best and still do it to this day and I'm 21 years old and in the same position as you working for my fathers jewelry store. It does help to do it all in house and I say definitely go that route. As for all these people saying hire a pro, good luck with that. Most are going to charge an insane price and on top of that they're probably really bad. If you're passionate about bringing up your fathers store like I am than you will produce better images than any pro will eventually. I'm sure I could get you on the right track. Send me a private message buddy.

Most reactions

Back