Jewlery

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My mom makes jewlery mainly necklaces so we had the idea of trying to sell them on ebay and possibly maker her a website. To do this we need some good pictures tho.

What would be the best way to light and shoot something like that?

I saw a while ago someone posted hwo to make your own photography tent? if I have the name correct. What low budget lights would be good for that? I was thinking of buying one of those manakin torso with a neck you see in stores so I need to make sure I don't get a big shadow from that. I'm also thinking some of the metal is reflective (and some of the other beads) so I need to make sure I can tone down the light enough to the glare down. Thank you

at wolf camera/ritz camera they have a small photography tent like that for sale, i saw it yesterday im not sure how much though

I know this isnt really an answer to your question, but instead of ebay you should check out www.etsy.com
Its a site made just for people selling hand crafted goods. and no mater how much your selling price is, it only costs .10 to list it! You can also sell photos there! its a neat little place! good luck!

My mother makes handmade jewelry and she used something called a cloud dome to control the light. It did a pretty good job. You can find it here. Good luck.

if you want a good black backround, Black velvet works very very well.

Here's a shot of the light tent I use to do small product photography:

lighttent.jpg

The idea is to light the translucent material which, in turn, lights the subject with shadowless, soft lighting. To make one of your own, just suspend a sheet from its middle so that it covers the subject. Cut a hole for the lens to see through and then light the tent. Voila.

here is a site that appears to have choises for lighting jewelryhttp://alzodigital.com/online_store/Alzo_100_macro_studio.htm

Ok thanks for the replies

I think I'm gonna get one of those tents like the site posted above and try to work with a few lights I have, if not buy some. I'm pretty sure I can put together some sort of camera mount like the one from the site above wih an on tripod being handy always helps.

I use a light tent made out of pvc pipe with a white bedsheet for a diffusor and either a black or white one for the background, with $2 150watt work lights (the kind that clip onto the table) from home depot. This isn't a shining example of product photography, but just a general idea of what you can do:

PICT1567.jpg

The reflection is from setting the dragon on a piece of plexiglass. In all, I think the whole setup cost about $40.

In addition to the other posters' comments a couple tips, Deep:

– if you softlight the subject from one side, you can fill-in/open up the shadows on the other side with white foam board (or foam board covered with aluminum foil, tightly crumpled then carefully stretched, flattened and spray-glued on. Iron it for real flatness!) just outside the FoV, creating more inspiring images than the flat, shadowless images that a light tent will create;
– placing the jewelry on a plate of glass on a black (or other color) background (like the velvet mentioned above) may create beautiful reflections;
– don't worry about sparkles. You can add those later in PP, exactly like you want.
I do that often with Photoline32 (for Windows and Mac; FREE download; shareware), like so:

B4AfterPL32.jpg

Most reactions

Back