TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
jim2.jpg

What a great portrait this is, he looks like he has a lot of character.

Sweet portrait... Really pops out at you!

Contrast is missing, image flat. No white, black is muddy. For a teacher of students, I expected much more.

Perhaps it might be good to quote your own (two) comments in another thread: "In b&w, all you have is tonal contrast, no color, so more tonal contrast can really add to your image" and "One has to be cognizant of 'color' in b&w"
In this conversion I miss the contrast, it is all quite gray. In addition, I find darkening the background and thus freeing the head quite amateurishly done. In addition, I find the dark spot around his right shoulder very ugly and also the limited space at the top and especially at the bottom (cut off beard) disturbing.

Yup, he is quick on all that. People may want to reconsider his direction. I know I did a long, long, time ago. I hardly post an image anymore because of him. I have to be able to objectively view the imagery. I can do that better today. I watch you (@gk fotografie ) close because you make images as opposed to taking them. He must be teaching and practicing taking.

Last edited:

Perhaps it might be good to quote your own (two) comments in another thread: "In b&w, all you have is tonal contrast, no color, so more tonal contrast can really add to your image" and "One has to be cognizant of 'color' in b&w"
In this conversion I miss the contrast, it is all quite gray. In addition, I find darkening the background and thus freeing the head quite amateurishly done. In addition, I find the dark spot around his right shoulder very ugly and also the limited space at the top and especially at the bottom (cut off beard) disturbing.

Yup, he is quick on all that. People may want to reconsider his direction. I know I did a long, long, time ago. I hardly post an image anymore because of him. I have to be able to objectively view the imagery. I can do that better today. I watch you (@gk fotografie ) close because you make images as opposed to taking them. He must be teaching and practicing taking.

If you don't post because of something I have said, you have far more issues than me and trust me, I have my fair share. I lost everything in a category 5 hurricane called Michael. I am now and have been since last October working on a borrowed 9 year old POS laptop so while it might look right to me on this screen, it may not to you. Easy enough to say so and not hurt my feelings. What I said and regardless of my image, holds true and that's what the opinion was about.

I'm late to the party. From my amateurish view, this is stunning. I can't find any of the issues you guys are talking about. I guess I need to learn to see. I love it just the way it is.

Yep, I like it, too. Lots of emotion in this man's face.

i like this photo too.. he is unique and yet familiar.. and great poise..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back