Joachim Ladefoged

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's a good series all round. Just started to read the latest issue last night - interesting looking cover article on Ancient Iran, but not read too far into it so far.

NEWFOUNDLAND!

Never read the story, but its not uncommon here for people(teens) to leave school to fish with their fathers.

great series though!

:thumbup:

Nice article, I have a trip that I have been planning for a few years now that includes this region of Newfoundland!

I didn't understand why it was "gripping".

I loved the next to last shot in the series "Futures Up in Smoke" but I thought all the rest were quite below average in the sense of "good photography" and fairly average in the sense of "photojournalism" prop shots.

Am I being too critical or snobbish?

--
PS: The 1st shot "Fish Tradition", wasn't too bad either.

What I like about his work is how clearly he stacks subjects. His compositions (almost) always have a foreground, a background, and something in the middle... though it does not always put the primary subject in the same plane. It's quite good.

I didn't understand why it was "gripping".

I loved the next to last shot in the series "Futures Up in Smoke" but I thought all the rest were quite below average in the sense of "good photography" and fairly average in the sense of "photojournalism" prop shots.

Am I being too critical or snobbish?

--
PS: The 1st shot "Fish Tradition", wasn't too bad either.

There's just such a fantastic story behind the Teen Scene shot. You've got the two lover teenagers in the background...the guy staring off into nothingness and the girl watching on, mostly indifferent, as the teenager in the foreground arranges/baits the hooks on the line. It's like they're in totally separate worlds in spite of their other presumably unending similarities. I also like the weird contrast between the foreground guy engaged in something so banal and sort of dirty, and in the background that bit of stomach/back showing on the girl and they guy's hands in close proximity to the boobs adds an odd sexual tension to the scene, as if they'd be ****ing right there on the couch were other guy not there taking care of the fishing line. I just think it's fascinating and a wonderful capture.

Beautiful work and yes "Teen Scene" is very powerful. I am reminded of the work of Larry Clark. Also found the field notes interesting. Especially the fact that Nancy Majowski pointed out "in 2005-06 deaths out numbered births".

Personally I feel this is great photojournalism. It is a tough story to illustrate and Ladefoged stepped up to the plate in composition and content. It brought attention to a serious problem that is being over looked nationally and internationally.

I barely remember viewing Blah Blah's award winning photo essay on a mother losing her son to cancer or what ever. People posted left and right about it. Although poignant and moving I felt that the story lacked merit. Of course your are going to get dramatic photos of a mother and her dying son. The story was just too obvious with not a lot of new or interesting information. Ladeford's story is much more interesting and gripping in my opinion.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back