job help... professional photographers

phildaint

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi, i have just left school and am going to college to study either photography or IT (havn't decided yet) but i have no idea how good / poor the money is for being a professional photographer. could anyone tell me which is the best area to aim for e.g wedding, or for magazines etc and roughly what kind of salaries you are getting and also how are the hours?

*edit* aimed at mainly English photographers
thankyou, phil

The money is as good as you make it. Seriously if you hustle and market yourself you can make lots. But as to the question of "how are the hours" well...... I would not expect to have weekends off and forget 9-5. If you want to shoot weddings they happen on the weekends usually from noon to like 10PM or later and they are from Friday to Sunday depending on the relegion. Again this is not a 9-5 business.

If you are looking at entering the photography field for the money, don't bother.

There are a thousand extremely talented photographers out there that live breathe and bleed photography. Your images have to be able to sale themselves. Your marketing will determine the amount of clients, but it won't matter if you don't have the skills to compete with today's competive photogs.

The direct field ie weddings, commercial, family, that you choose will also dictate how much you make. You can charge anything you want, and book as many sittings / gigs as you want. But again, if the images don't scream out loud to that particular market, it won't matter. You'll never excel.

If you feel that you have the talent to compete with such a rapidly expanding, hungry field of competitors, then you need to decide where your talent is. You can't shoot PJ editorials if you rely on boomed lights and meter readings ;)

WTD45.jpg

Had to be added :)

It's like any other self employed business. If you have the sense and ability you can make it huge. You could take fantastic photos and not know anything about business and end up like the freelancer above. Or you can take horrible photos and let some marketing make you rich by finding a niche.

My advice is to keep your options open. Don't put all your eggs into one basket and say "I'm going to be a professional photographer no matter what," and then not having anything else going for you. It depends on a lot of factors mentioned by the above posters how successful you will be or not be.

If you are going to compete with some well established photog studios or well established talented freelancers in your area, be prepared to take some hard knocks from them if you don't have the skills and/or experience yet. They will for sure give you a run for your money. it can be very cut throat. They will most likely have a nicely built client base. Also, DSLR cameras are very afforable and accessible to the general public. There are a lot of people trying to enter the field thinking it will be easy. Some make it and many don't.

If you are really passionate and driven, you will find a way to make it. But you will more than likely have to pay your dues. Keep your eyes open and be smart about the market. It never hurts to have a day job that pays the bills and then use nights and weekends for gigs starting out. Good luck.

NJ

I'm studying IT... if I have the chance in the future to get a job (part - or full time) as a photographer I'd take it... but I want to have a second option :)

Self-employed is tough... in ANY field.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd look for a position with a company... with a salary... and benefits.

It can be done. One can make a wonderful living in photography. I think the real question is, "Can I be successful working for myself?" Then, of course, you'd have to define "successful."

-Pete

Totally what Woodsack said. It's like any other art. If you don't have the internal all consuming passion for it, your photos will show it. If you do have that passion, the world is yours, but at that point the art is much more important than the money.

I am currently in IT but have started a wedding photography business on the side. I took some photography courses in college (for my electives) and definately having taking those courses helped my with my business. I am not at the point where I can be a full time photographer, although I would love to! IT is good money, but the hours are ridiculous!

If you heart is in it, and you give it all your energy, the money will follow regardless of which path you choose. But all of the talent in the world will not make you successful if you don't believe in what you're doing.

Most importantly money does not equal either success or happiness. Say that three times. No four. This is really important. If you end goal is simply to make a lot of money I'm sure your reach it - and then find your prize hollow and empty.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. PM me if you want more thoughts. But don't spend your life chasing little green pieces of paper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back