Joel the snake.

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
I couldn't resist posting a shot of my favorite critter. This frame was shot last weekend. He is a 5 (soon to be 6) foot Burmese Python. We share the computer room together. He is rarely in his cage. Any snake lovers out there?

I've never kept a python or boa but I used to collect snakes in SC, even selling to pet shops occasionally. I did catch an Indigo snake one time which was the high point of my collecting career. I let it go almost immediately. Here is a picture of an Indigo snake that I found on the internet. Of all the snakes I have handled or seen, the Indigo has the best and most distinct personality. Even people who hate snakes end up wanting to pet or hold it. this is not me or my snake. Although it looks black it is actually a satiny, iridescent, very dark blue.

Indigo1.jpg

I'm glad drdan mentioned snake personality, because Joel is a whipper snapper. He loves crawling around. In the summer I leave the window open so he can crawl on to the electrical box and sun himself. The process of him getting there is very acrobatic. He is really gentle with me. But I am his only friend. The family says hi and some will pet him, very few have the desire to handle him. He is a snake and not that bright. Anyone including me would get bitten if you were to put your hand in front of his face.

Oh, yea. I showed Joel the photo of the Indigo snake and I think he is in love.

So cool. I had a friend that collected snakes. The most fun then was to watch them hunt down a mouse and eat it. He got rid of his python when it ate his kitten. I thought it was funny...i hate cats.

I personally have three different snakes, and a few other reptiles as well. I know quite a few people who keep and/or breed snakes and other reptiles. I'm quite active on some reptile sites and with the local reptile club.

That's a nice looking burm you have there. How old is he? What do you keep him in? I hope you have plans for a very large enclosure when he gets big. I know someone who has a Burmese python that is about 17-18 feet long and around 180 lbs.

The most fun then was to watch them hunt down a mouse
In educated reptile circles, this is really frowned upon. I have seen too many snakes that have been injured from live prey. Not to mention that getting pleasure from watching one animal kill another...is a little twisted. The more acceptable way to feed snakes is to train them to eat prekilled prey. I buy frozen mice in bulk and just thaw them out when I feed them to my snakes.

Big Mike said:
In educated reptile circles, this is really frowned upon. I have seen too many snakes that have been injured from live prey. Not to mention that getting pleasure from watching one animal kill another...is a little twisted. The more acceptable way to feed snakes is to train them to eat prekilled prey. I buy frozen mice in bulk and just thaw them out when I feed them to my snakes.

1) The snakes never got harmed. Snakes are predators. Thats what they were born as and will always be. To not let them seek prey is a shame.

2) So you think watching shows on the Animal Channel where lions chase down animals and eat them is twisted? Its nature, its what animals do... :roll:

1) The snakes never got harmed. Snakes are predators. Thats what they were born as and will always be. To not let them seek prey is a shame.

2) So you think watching shows on the Animal Channel where lions chase down animals and eat them is twisted? Its nature, its what animals do...

Snakes getting hurt by their prey is one of those things...people say that they have been feeding live prey for years with no problem...and then one day it happens. ?http://www.proexotics.com/graphics/ball_python_live_prey_1.jpg

Wild animals do need to hunt, but captive animals do not. Would you put your dog in a box and then just throw in a live cat for it too eat. Or throw in a couple of hamsters for your cat?

I like watching wild animals on TV, hunt and kill their prey just like everybody else. But would you like to watch a lion and a zebra in a small enclosed area fighting to the death.

This is not the place to further discuss this so I'll stop here. If anyone would like to learn more or voice their opinion...come over to http://www.ssnakess.com/

Joel has a 50 gallon fish tank he hangs out in. I put him in there when I feed him live mice. Other than that he is free to roam my computer room and even the house on some occasions. This may be frowned upon in snake circles. Joel and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Feeding the ol' boy frozen mice can be tricky because the mouse has to perfectly defrosted. I feed him twice a month and the hole process takes a matter of seconds depending on how stupid the rat is. I'm sure he gets scratches, but after eating he just just sits on his hot rock for days. Maybe the scars heal? I give him snake vitamins and he gets a check up once a year. Except for getting the sniffles two years ago he has always gotten a clean bill of health. Talk about fun, try giving him antibiotic shots. :shock:

I like snakes! These are nice images, too. It's fun to hold them and feel them wrapping themselves around your arm. Way cool. :D

Big Mike, I appreciate your comments very much. :thumbsup:

I didn't want to add anything more to this thread but did you say "hot rock"

Those are another one of those things that people use until they find out the hard way that they are not safe. They do not provide even heat and reptiles can suffer burns on some areas while trying to heat their whole bodies.

Also, a 50 gal tank is too small for large snake. How old is he? From your post, at least two years. A healthy burm should be over 6 feet by the time they are only one year old. Feeding every two weeks is OK for an adult snake but how much are you feeding him at each feeding?

Also, a free roaming burm is just trouble waiting to happen.

I don't want to be judgemental but I'm concerned for the animal. Also, if something happened and he escaped or something...it looks bad for everyone in the hobby of snake keeping. It's hard enough as it is to keep the general public from thinking we are all evil, devil worshipping minions.

It's your animal and you can keep him as you want but it's my suggestion that you do a little research about the husbandry of these snakes.

I knew this was coming! Joel is close to ten years old. He eats one large rat every two weeks. My husbandry of the fella is unorthodox to say the least. He has never known a life of cages and proper heating and proper lighting. He gets regular baths, and as he choses he has his cage.

We both feel that is more fun to just do as we please so to speak. When he goes on his adventures he is never unattended. We are confident that we project healthy snake care.

He visits the vet (who he hates) once a year the only thing she says is feed him more.

jesus, a debate about snakes on a photoforum....

whats next? me and Vonnagy being asked to shoot a Sports illustrated swimsuit layout?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

md

Most reactions

Back