joined to learn

Greg II

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My name is Greg, I'm 25 and I just recently discovered how much I enjoy photography. I haven't taken any classes so my photo skills are very raw. I've had a point and shoot for years but bought a d5000 after getting tired of seeing others take such beautiful pictures. While it may not be the best dslr I think it was a good investment for me to start with. I don't use any photo editing software because I want to improve my raw skills first (plus I don't have any experience with editing so I wouldn't know where to start.)

I joined this site with an open mind and look forward to getting as much advice as possible. I'm here to learn and I appreciate any and all criticism :thumbup:

Welcome.

Probably the best advice I can give you for starting out is to try and visualize the shot before even releasing the shutter. Its not about how many you take, its about the quality of the ones that you do.

Just standing still and thinking about how you would shoot something can do so much to improve your pictures. You don't even need a camera to do it.

You can do this when you are just walking around, or sitting at home not even taking pictures.

Try to visualize what would be the best composition, use of lighting, and angle for you to shoot from. :mrgreen:

thanks neil that's great advice. I think I already do that actually. I know how raw my skills are so I am trying to just take it slow.

I started just taking portraits (of my dog) to try to learn about apeture, shutter speed, iso, lighting etc. I have sort of neglected the picture as a whole (working on correcting that) and if you see my flickr you would see what I am talking about. there is often a lot in the background that ruin what could be a decent picture.

I am thinking about getting some sort of photo editing software but I kind of like the idea of taking a picture and not having to edit at all... I wouldn't know where to start with editing which is why I don't touch my pictures but I think someone who knew what they were doing could make them look much better.

Ya background is very important, even if its blurred.

The way I learned the basics that I know for Photoshop is from DVD training videos. I think they were from a company called Total Training.

There are also many books on photo editing, it just takes some time and patience to learn.

So far I have gotten my lessons from youtube which have been helpful. If I decide to go with photoshop I will definitely check out those videos. I have been given advice from a friend that all I would need is apeture. I am in a good position because I still am in school so I would be able to get a good student discount on whichever program I choose. I will eventually get an editing program but I still would rather focuc my attention on practicing and learning how to take pictures that look good with out editing.

thanks again for your comments, I appreciate it.

I am new to the forum and photography as well. I decided a good intro cam for me was the d5000 kit with the 55-200mm lens. I am currently trying to decide which lens I want to get next also. Based on what kind of pictures I want to take I am going to go with a macro. That was the easy part... Now I'm not sure if I want to get a tamron 90mm or price jump to the nikon 105mm. Honestly for me I think the tamron is more than enough but I don't want to be disappointed over a couple hundred more...

Get the 60mm macro.

It functions as a general purpose lens as well. It is also extreemly sharp, which is uncommon for a non-L lens.

I got my eye on the 100mm 2.8 IS macro at the moment, but I am broke now and need to stop buying lenses lol.

didn't want to jack that ladies thread lol... I just want a lens that I can take extreme close ups with great clarity and color. I don't really need another general purpose lens. From what i have read the nikon 105mm is the best for what i am looking for but expensive while the tamron 90mm is the next best for about half the price (still expensive though lol)

I am new to the forum and photography as well. I decided a good intro cam for me was the d5000 kit with the 55-200mm lens. I am currently trying to decide which lens I want to get next also. Based on what kind of pictures I want to take I am going to go with a macro. That was the easy part... Now I'm not sure if I want to get a tamron 90mm or price jump to the nikon 105mm. Honestly for me I think the tamron is more than enough but I don't want to be disappointed over a couple hundred more...

Get the 60mm macro.

It functions as a general purpose lens as well. It is also extreemly sharp, which is uncommon for a non-L lens.

I got my eye on the 100mm 2.8 IS macro at the moment, but I am broke now and need to stop buying lenses lol.

didn't want to jack that ladies thread lol... I just want a lens that I can take extreme close ups with great clarity and color. I don't really need another general purpose lens. From what i have read the nikon 105mm is the best for what i am looking for but expensive while the tamron 90mm is the next best for about half the price (still expensive though lol)

I was thinking you had a Canon.

Ya the 105mm Nikon looks like a good lens. Not all that expensive either.

The 1' minimum focus distance would give you some working room. Thats why I am want a macro at this focal length.

well expensive for me as a student with low income. I know compared to a lot of lenses I have looked at (wide angle) it is cheaper but even looking at it as an investment over 10 years its hard to spend ~1000. I know the 105mm is better but I really don't think I will be too upset with the tamron.

For a lower cost solution have you thought of getting some used equipment?

Yes actually I have considered it and still am currently. I will admit I am skeptical though. I have a lot of experience with ebay but never buying electronics or things of great value.

Also based on my inexperience I wouldn't know how to evaluate the lens to be sure it is in proper condition (besides obvious things like scratches.) Thanks for your input though, any further opinions like places to look for used equipment?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back