JonMikal asked for it

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
and who am I to deny :mrgreen:
The pictures sadly are not too my liking, but it's really tough to get a good shot of a black hairy ball on a sunny day.

None of the pictures are cropped. All where shot with 125mm full zoom.

A note of caution: I have been around bears as a kid and have worked many years in the bush in mineral exploration. I am cautious with them, yet quite comfortable . I have read extensively on them and observed them on countless occasions. I am confident in reading their body language and know how to react to it. If you cannot handle a bear charging you, do not get this close, even the semi tame ones found in parks.. A bears mood can spin on a time.

I was on a back road where no one lived for 50 miles in either direction when this critter poped out of the bush. He's looking at me hopeing I am something good to eat. They are rather hungry this time of the year

bear1.jpg

He started grazing on the grass right in front me, I had never seen that before. Time was slipping by and I soon had to leave so I moved in closer trying to fill the frame. I am on the edge of his comfort zone. His fight or flee instincts are starting to kick in, so a backed up a couple of steps hoping he would get even more comfortable with me.

bear4.jpg

The bear starts making a circle around me trying to get past. I have to go, so I move in closer.

bear2.jpg

bear5.jpg

Ooops I moved in to close, one last look at me and of into the bush she goes

bear6.jpg

I believe this bear was either a female or a young male, had this been an older male I would not have gotten this close.

Ok, I give up on you guyz, you all are tooo good. And I just got a new snapper too.

VN Cruzin !

These are soooooo WOW!

You may not be all happy with your series, but I am!
Wonderful photo story of how you met the bear. And inched closer - and closer... and that final look is yet the best.
In that one, there is communication!
You might not be too happy about the light conditions, but with that last look straight into the camera (and consequently at me here now, too! ;)), you can't lose!

wow what a cute bear... :) little black fella here :)
Great pictures Cruzin and I'm full of appreciation to you and those pictures! I'd be totally afraid...

dang Cruzin, these are good man! how in the heck were you able to get so close? and with these, you have obviously eliminated yourself from crow competition...you would easily blow chiller and i away! got anymore wild stuff? post it all!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Thank you for looking every one, glad you enjoyed them

JonMikal said:
dang Cruzin, these are good man! how in the heck were you able to get so close? and with these, you have obviously eliminated yourself from crow competition...you would easily blow chiller and i away! got anymore wild stuff? post it all!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Seems the mother of this bear didn't teach it to completely fear humans. I was amazed at how long he stuck around, I was beginning to think the bear was just in the mood for some company. I am hopeing to get a couple more cracks at bear pictures this year, I know a place where a lynx hangs out on occassion but they are extremly elusive. Well thats all for my animal pictures

LoFoto it was really cool when he looked back, I think he was just making sure I was not going to follow.

Cool shots, the closest I have ever come to a bear is just seeing tracks. Great captures.

Beauty's Cruzin. :thumbup:

There are bears that hang around the airport here, but I haven't been able to get close enough to get a good shot.

One of these days i got to get my but up early in the a.m and head up your way with my camera.

Really excellent work. I enjoyed them all, especially with the accompanying story. However, #1 was my favorite as a really liked the composition and the sense of space it conveyed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back