Josh

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Another portrait... would love to hear some critique. Thanks!

Josh.jpg

Canon 10D, 24-85mm, 100 ISO, f8

oooh! I like that!
I'd like to see it with just a touch more lighting, just a little flat for my liking, but :thumbup:

Great stuff. Love the mood.
But the subject looks a tad soft for me.

What is the source of lighting here?

love it! great exposure, but as with most portraits, i would like to see the subject with a slight twist to one side in the body perhaps, yet still looking at the lense,

I really like it.. the pose, framing, light...but he looks stunned. A little less deer in headlights would be great. Im undecided about how much separation there is from the bkgd. I think a little more would be good, but Im not sure.

Nice work. Good details in the folds of the black shirt - always tough...

Tuna

your overall work is deadon for me! subject placement, clothing, background, tones...:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

danalec99 said:
What is the source of lighting here?

Strobes... a softbox for the main, an umbrella for the fill. and a small reflector with a diffuser for the background. Somewhere around 100ws in each.

Thanks to all for your advice and kind words.

Okay, my first brutally honest critique. But I'll start on the bright side. I like the lack of contrast between the clothing and the background. Now the rest. First, The upper part of the background matches the skin tones of his face too closely, giving not enough contrast. If you're going to drop the contrast of his body, at least bring it out in the face and hair. Second, There's something wrong with the eyes here...they look vacant. Third, The position of his body feels way too awkward to me. There's something about the gripping of the side and the resting of the face on the hand that gives him a really anxious look. Finally, I think there's too much dead space. Sorry for the harsh critique.

Most reactions

Back