journey ruined

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today i went on a 2 day trip to Germany. I arrived in Hamburg earlier this morning and starting whipping out my camera to take pictures all day long. So about 5 hours into shooting i looked for a bench and sat down to see some of my work and to my dismay all of my pictures had little hairs in it :grumpy:. After a couple of minutes i finally collected my thoughts and calmed down. So it was that time to find a quiet place to clean out the little hairs with my blowing rocket thing. After an hour of blowing into the dslr, i got all but one hair out. Do you have any dry method suggestions to get that hair out of my camera? Its only in the body, i checked.

Last edited:
can you post pics? I'm surpirsed hairs behind the lens would render as such.

Your camera is becoming a man.

Routinely check your camera before heading out for a shoot. I always make sure my gear is clean, the batteries are charged, and the cards are reformatted.

Routinely check your camera before heading out for a shoot. I always make sure my gear is clean, the batteries are charged, and the cards are reformatted.

I found out the hard way. I am really hesitant to go the way of wet method.

Think of your camera as a parachute. You WILL check it before you use it.

I do a lot of different activities, and each has its own collection of gear. If I'm doing solo kayaking, there's a bunch of gear that my life may end up depending on, so it gets unpacked and repacked before each trip. If I'm going on a hike, different gear, but same approach. Long-distance biking, same approach. Cross-country skiing in the backwoods - same approach. If I'm going to visit a client and carry out inspections, there's a bunch of things that I must have with me to get the job done.

When doing photography, I've got more gear than I could or would want to carry. So depending on what the objectives are, the evening before, I pick the gear that I think I will need, charge all the batteries, check the operation of all the bits and pieces, clean what needs to be cleaned, reformat my cards, etc. (just like sparky does). After a shooting session, I upload all the images, catalog the ones that I want to process further, BACKUP both uploaded images and the catalogs, and then delete the images from the card. I rarely delete images from the card in the field.

I found out the hard way. I am really hesitant to go the way of wet method.

Don't be. You really have to work hard to screw it up. Besides, do you really want to be out a camera every time the sensor needs cleaned?

......and then delete the images from the card...........

I only delete the images from the card months later when I use the card again. I rotate multiple cards through the cameras, setting yesterdays' shoot aside for 3-4 months and reformatting a different card before each shoot. That way, I have a second back-up (I do a virgin download to two separate hard drives) with the card.

For instance, last weekend I used cards 19 and 20. Once I downloaded the images, I put cards 21 and 22 into the camera and reformatted them. Cards 21 and 22 were last used back in April. I won't use cards 19 and 20 until next spring sometime.

Ok. I actually tested something i was thinking about earlier. I removed the battery from the camera and left it alone for an hour, i came back to it until i was sure there was no more strong enough charge to hold things to the body. So i removed the lens and used the rocket again now. It finally worked!

Think of your camera as a parachute. You WILL check it before you use it.

I do a lot of different activities, and each has its own collection of gear. If I'm doing solo kayaking, there's a bunch of gear that my life may end up depending on, so it gets unpacked and repacked before each trip. If I'm going on a hike, different gear, but same approach. Long-distance biking, same approach. Cross-country skiing in the backwoods - same approach. If I'm going to visit a client and carry out inspections, there's a bunch of things that I must have with me to get the job done.

When doing photography, I've got more gear than I could or would want to carry. So depending on what the objectives are, the evening before, I pick the gear that I think I will need, charge all the batteries, check the operation of all the bits and pieces, clean what needs to be cleaned, reformat my cards, etc. (just like sparky does). After a shooting session, I upload all the images, catalog the ones that I want to process further, BACKUP both uploaded images and the catalogs, and then delete the images from the card. I rarely delete images from the card in the field.
That just never occurd to me because my gear is still new and clean.

Today i went on a 2 day trip to Germany. I arrived in Hamburg earlier this morning and starting whipping out my camera to take pictures all day long. So about 5 hours into shooting i looked for a bench and sat down to see some of my work and to my dismay all of my pictures had little hairs in it :grumpy:. After a couple of minutes i finally collected my thoughts and calmed down. So it was that time to find a quiet place to clean out the little hairs with my blowing rocket thing. After an hour of blowing into the dslr, i got all but one hair out. Do you have any dry method suggestions to get that hair out of my camera? Its only in the body, i checked.

You know I read through this and the very first thing that sprang to my mind was, how in the world did you get hair in your camera? Then I started to think about the possible answers to that question and decided not to ask it. I'm not real sure where the hair is, but I think it if were me as long as none of the camera's electric bits were exposed I'd try a practical application of static electricity. Rub a comb with some wool until it is charged, pass it over the hair and it should pick it right up.

Most reactions

Back