Journey to become a professional photographer

Dnator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Many amateur photographers want to become professional photographers. Sadly I am one of them. I think it can seem daunting at first, but I have decided to give it a go. If you want you can find out how I do it here Can I become a professional photographer?

It is only early days now, but I will document the process and even emotions and thoughts that people who start down this path will experience. It is a bit "tongue in cheek at times"...but hopefully it will be informative for someone!

Enjoy!
Rod

Good luck! I believe photography has been changed forever due to digital technology--less barriers than when film was king and more photographers entering the market. Also we currently are suffering through an ailing world economy and from that luxury services or commercial services like photography are hurting. Plus...many amateurs or misguided talented photographers are offering their services without much business sense or real idea of how much their Cost of Doing Business is, and they are severely low-balling the market. What that essentially offers is $10/hour wage for that photographer at the end of the day (unlivable and unsustainable for a biz) as well as drive down the rates of serious pros. Commercial photography is an established industry with creative fees, licensing fees, contracts, usage rights, etc. If these are ignored you are hurting your fellow professionals and are leaving a ton of money on the table. An image you shoot for a mom and pop biz might get you $500. The same image used by a large company might command $50,000. Same image. Same amount of time invested. But there are long established commercial factors that are the norm at that level.

What I am getting at, is that the photography market is in a period of flux right now. So you better be at the top of your field if you want to make a sustainable and good living from it. You are an artist, a creative professional and a business owner, and you should make a doctor's salary from doing this. Think about diversifying perhaps into some other media. This is just my opinion but I think motion media is going to explode as internet connections get faster and faster and more of our daily media is on computers and smart phones. Things that move attract more attention than things that are static.

Good luck. Rather than investing time into your blog, in my humble opinion I think you should invest it in learning photography. It is a deep, endless well. Plus, right now your name is getting attached by search engines to a blog about an amateur who's dream it is to be a professional photographer. What happens in two year when you start working and that pops up when people are Googling your name? It's not a good image. You want to present yourself like you completely know what you are doing and like you completely know what you are doing, ad infinim. I wouldn't want to hand a 15,000 USD project to someone who has a blog about journeying from an amateur to a pro..and they feel it just happened. I don't want the word 'amateur' anywhere near that person when I am shopping for a professional service.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Some interesting points! Some I agree with, some - not so much.

The field is definitely diverse and I believe there are many different career paths. I can see from your photos that you guys definitely know what you are doing, so it is great to hear your opinions!

Thanks for the replies and advice!

All you have is the blog? Where are the photos?

That's a very dark, unappealing template you have chosen and there is some really dim type.

hey, good luck. I'd also like to see some photos. You have a long road ahead from what it seems though. I mean, you really never want to say "my new dslr takes great photos" because its never the camera and always the photographer, elsewise, the camera is taking great snapshots.
post some example work for us! I'm excited to see the actual photographic transformation more than words.
once again, good luck.

Thanks for the feedback!

I mean, you really never want to say "my new dslr takes great photos" because its never the camera and always the photographer, elsewise, the camera is taking great snapshots.
post some example work for us! I'm excited to see the actual photographic transformation more than words.
once again, good luck.

You are right! What I meant to say was "the quality, clarity and colour of the images produced in camera are beyond my expectations". You make a good point!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back