JPEG compression..

CThomas817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... I did a newborn shoot in the fall and at the time the client wanted digitals and single prints, so I saved the edits in JPEG. Now months later, she decided she wants an album. With my printing company, I have to design the album page spreads first in a Photoshop doc, and then add the compressed spread to the album pages. This results in double jpeg compression. My printing company will take TIFF or JPEG only. Is there any possible way to save these photos? With the double compression I am getting banding and the colors are getting funky. Obviously in hindsight I would have saved them in PSD.

Seeing examples might help. A second pass of JPEG compression should not result in visible banding.

Joe

why not recreate the spread in PS with original sized photos?

I can't use the raw files because I saved all the edits in the high res JPEGs. The images took probably 8 hours in post to edit so re-doing them is out of the question.

I am using the original size edited jpegs to create the spread in a PS doc, but then when I save that it obviously compresses a second time.

So why not open the edited JPEG's and save them out as Tiff's to build the album rather than compress them again as JPEG's for album production?

Lesson learned right?

I can't use the raw files because I saved all the edits in the high res JPEGs.

You edited the camera JPEGs instead of the raw files?

The images took probably 8 hours in post to edit so re-doing them is out of the question.

I am using the original size edited jpegs to create the spread in a PS doc, but then when I save that it obviously compresses a second time.

Most likely then the problems you're seeing aren't caused by a second pass JPEG compression but rather by your original editing of the camera JPEGs.

Joe

save as a lossless tiff. problem solved.

i dont understand why you dont have source files for the edits.

I can't use the raw files because I saved all the edits in the high res JPEGs. The images took probably 8 hours in post to edit so re-doing them is out of the question.

Pixel-level edited in Photoshop?

versus

edited parametrically in say, Lightroom?

Pixel-level edited in Photoshop?

versus

edited parametrically in say, Lightroom?

Sorry that I am just seeing this now. I do not use Lightroom, start to finish in Photoshop. This issue is still not solved BTW

The images took probably 8 hours in post to edit so re-doing them is out of the question.

Most likely then the problems you're seeing aren't caused by a second pass JPEG compression but rather by your original editing of the camera JPEGs.

Joe

The once compressed final edit JPEGS do not have the banding. It only happens when I save the the file again as an album spread.

So why not open the edited JPEG's and save them out as Tiff's to build the album rather than compress them again as JPEG's for album production?

Lesson learned right?

Yes, lesson - always save the PSD's.

Miller's complained about the tiff's because they take longer to upload. Whatever, that's what they will get!

Joe

And no, I didn't edit the camera jpegs, I don't even save jpegs in camera, only NEFs. I use camera raw to make simple adjustments, but the majority of my editing occurs on the main photoshop platform (head swapping, skin corrections, dodge and burn, nip and tuck for new moms who request it), so clearly these changes are not saved in the source files.

I compressed the final edit into a jpeg without saving a PSD file. If I have to go back to the raw files and re-do all the post-camera raw edits, it will take hours.

This is exactly what I am posting about... I didn't save the files as PSDs. She approved the final images while they were still in working mode in PS and didn't request any changes so I did not think I would need to make additional edits. I saved them in JPEG at this point. So my only "source file" is the NEF with a few adjustments in camera raw.

Lesson learned right?

Yes, lesson - always save the PSD's.

Miller's complained about the tiff's because they take longer to upload. Whatever, that's what they will get!
Or save in tiff instead of psd tiff is more suited to cross different platforms/programs

This is exactly what I am posting about... I didn't save the files as PSDs. She approved the final images while they were still in working mode in PS and didn't request any changes so I did not think I would need to make additional edits. I saved them in JPEG at this point. So my only "source file" is the NEF with a few adjustments in camera raw.

You basically trashed your source files... never trash source files -- you should have retained the original PSDs you created for this exact same reason.

Really nothing you can do at this point unless you recreate the PSD.

Imagine being a graphic designer, creating a vector logo in Illustrator, then saving it as a flattened, compresses jpg -- then the client came back and needed it in a large format. That's basically what you did here.

If you're using PS from start to finish, then you should ALWAYS retain your original PSD.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back