JPEG vs. RAW - Discuss

Thank the lord, there's now a software hack that can allow Android phone users to capture raw .DNG files from their phone camera! Praise be! Finally, NOW phone camera captures can be made in glorious raw format! Camera FV-5 Lets Your Android Phone Shoot DNG Raw Files

This is wonderful, because as we know, it's not the picture that matters, it's whether it was "Made in RAW" or not!

what am i the only one that hauls out a dslr just for raw files?????????????????????

No. I typically shoot .NEFs with all my DSLRs..... unless it's something small & simple like a shot to post on the forum to show something, or a family gathering for the holiday, or something I'm just going to email then delete.

Thank the lord, there's now a software hack that can allow Android phone users to capture raw .DNG files from their phone camera! Praise be! Finally, NOW phone camera captures can be made in glorious raw format! Camera FV-5 Lets Your Android Phone Shoot DNG Raw Files

This is wonderful, because as we know, it's not the picture that matters, it's whether it was "Made in RAW" or not!

Can I get one with a Zeiss lens? Lenses take pictures -- cameras just hold the sensor.

Joe

Ysarex said:
Can I get one with a Zeiss lens? Lenses take pictures -- cameras just hold the sensor.

Joe

Sony does license a number of lens designs from Zeiss, and Sony does have the new NFC front attachment zoom lens dealios that attatch to phones...with a Carl Zeiss Lens
badge right there on the front of this one.... Smartphone Attachable Lens-style Camera - DSCQX100 B Review - Sony US

Speaking of phones and lenses and such, Sony does have the 20.7 MP Xperia phones with the Exmor sensor tech and the compact digitial camera-sized sensors, not the smart phone sized sensors...I've seen some pictures from these, and the image quality is really amazing for phone pics. One forum member here bought an Xperia Z2 smartphone last year, and I was blown away by the image quality it produced. I mean, really surprised at what it could do. For a phone it has a large, BSI CMOS sensor, a fast lens, and pretty good images. The Z2 has been updated to a Z3. The Z2 is listed as having a Sony G-lens, which is their premium lens series. The Xperia phones are waterproof, as in fully submersible to a decent depth for hours on end if needed.

For people wondering what BSI or backside illuminated means, this page has a nifty diagram:
Buyers Guide to Digital Camera Sensor Technology

Last edited:
Ysarex said:

Joe

Sony does license a number of lens designs from Zeiss, and Sony does have the new NFC front attachment zoom lens dealios that attatch to phones...with a Carl Zeiss Lens
badge right there on the front of this one.... Smartphone Attachable Lens-style Camera - DSCQX100 B Review - Sony US

Speaking of phones and lenses and such, Sony does have the 20.7 MP Xperia phones with the Exmor sensor tech and the compact digitial camera-sized sensors, not the smart phone sized sensors...I've seen some pictures from these, and the image quality is really amazing for phone pics. One forum member here bought an Xperia Z2 smartphone last year, and I was blown away by the image quality it produced. I mean, really surprised at what it could do. For a phone it has a large, BSI CMOS sensor, a fast lens, and pretty good images. The Z2 has been updated to a Z3. The Z2 is listed as having a Sony G-lens, which is their premium lens series. The Xperia phones are waterproof, as in fully submersible to a decent depth for hours on end if needed.
geesh. sure beats the crap out of my 5mp cell phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Flickr pool has 1,003 photos made with last year's Sony Xperia Z2. There are some truly fine photographs in here. Some of the better shooters have been able to push this phone to show what it can do. Imagine, if the full sensor captures were accessible in raw capture mode, how much better this thing could bridge the lighting values in many scenes that have bright highlights and deep shadows.

Flickr The Sony Xperia Z2 Pool

No RAW support on my HTC M7 according to the app RAW is only working on the two phones below.

"Requires Android 5.0+ and a fully compliant Camera2 implementation. Currently only LG Nexus 5 and Motorola Nexus 6."

John.

Most reactions

Back