Jr High Basketball C&C Welcome

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
F/4.0 to F/5.6 Lens 150-250mm ISO 6400 for all images. Speed was 1/500 for the most part. For a few I set it for 1/320, but wasn't pleased with the blur.

Tipoff!

IMG_3952.jpg

Get that ball.

IMG_3994.jpg

Flying High

IMG_4086.jpg

Going for it

IMG_4171.jpg

Trying to keep in bounds (but failed)

IMG_4141.jpg

You've done a good job of watching for faces and capturing the emotion of the game.
These are very very orange and there is a definite bit of noise in them that a bump up in the exposure would have been able to overcome a bit of. They're a bit heavy on the black point too.

Fixed WB and a light sharpen. Nice image!
6698675129_b91fdd87b0_b.jpg

You've done a good job of watching for faces and capturing the emotion of the game.
These are very very orange and there is a definite bit of noise in them that a bump up in the exposure would have been able to overcome a bit of. They're a bit heavy on the black point too.

Yeah, I'm aware of the color issues. I'm combating terrible lighting with a lens that isn't quite 'good enough'. I apprecaite your tips and comments though.

It's really very simple-custom white balance and a light sharpen in post and they're great. Older gyms will always look like that unless you do a custom white balance. Some of the new ones will look green or blue. Your 'not quite good enough' lens looked fine to me after sharpening, so?

It's really very simple-custom white balance and a light sharpen in post and they're great. Older gyms will always look like that unless you do a custom white balance. Some of the new ones will look green or blue. Your 'not quite good enough' lens looked fine to me after sharpening, so?

Yes, I appreciate your PP. My lens though is really at it's outer edge. And much over 200mm it's pretty sloppy, lacking overall sharpness. I'm currently saving my pennies for the 2.8 IS L 70-200.

I'll work on my white balance next time I'm in the gym. Perhaps I can have them change the type of candles they are currently lighting it with!:lol:

I have a few of THOSE lenses around here... But that doesn't mean that you have to settle for it's softness either... Just post a little to get the best of the best out of it.

Yeah, I feel your pain on the candle light... AND even if you do a custom white balance you will have every few images one that is really whacked in color. The lights cycle colors. Especially in the older gyms. They SUCK.

If you actually bump up to 12800 in your ISO you'll have a bit less problem with the noise too. I believe the T3i has the same sensor as the T2i and 50D. It handles a little rough at 12800, but if you are slightly overexposing (to the point just before an unacceptable blow out) and then reduce slightly in post processing you will have excellent results.

These are the same sensor at 12800
6303322077_603a3d57b8_b.jpg

6669181477_4d310f82a1_b.jpg

I'll look into higher ISO. Must be under the 'custom' selection? Normal gives me up to 6400 in manual mode. Nice pictures btw.

Fixed WB and a light sharpen. Nice image!
6698675129_b91fdd87b0_b.jpg

This corrected image look too washed out. In photoshop using auto levels and then a little cyan, and darken them down should help. This corrected image needs to be a little darker. Having said that, with monitors all being different, it may look right on MLeek's.

I have a few of THOSE lenses around here... But that doesn't mean that you have to settle for it's softness either... Just post a little to get the best of the best out of it.

Yeah, I feel your pain on the candle light... AND even if you do a custom white balance you will have every few images one that is really whacked in color. The lights cycle colors. Especially in the older gyms. They SUCK.

If you actually bump up to 12800 in your ISO you'll have a bit less problem with the noise too. I believe the T3i has the same sensor as the T2i and 50D. It handles a little rough at 12800, but if you are slightly overexposing (to the point just before an unacceptable blow out) and then reduce slightly in post processing you will have excellent results.

These are the same sensor at 12800
6303322077_603a3d57b8_b.jpg

6669181477_4d310f82a1_b.jpg

These images look too blue and a little too light. As I mentioned, your monitor may be much darker than mine.

I think your monitor needs calibrated. I just calibrated and your other post made me pull out prints and double check that what I am seeing is what I am printing are the same and I am perfectly good. If anything the first one is very dark on the blacks.

I'm using a really bright screen on my laptop, I've noticed that some of my stuff looks too bright at times on the laptop, and have seen them on other screens and they do look a little dark, my other laptop is a little darker and the desktop looks good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back