Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
From a recent shoot. C&C appreciated.

1. Juliana Blanket Bball_Daryll Morgan Photography-1.jpg
2. Juliana Blanket Bball_Daryll Morgan Photography-2.jpg
3. Juliana Blanket Bball_Daryll Morgan Photography-3.jpg
4. Juliana Blanket Bball_Daryll Morgan Photography-4.jpg
5. Juliana Blanket Bball_Daryll Morgan Photography-5.jpg

The lighting is perfect, and the white balance in the first four shots looks perfect to me as well.

I don't like the way the whites all blend into each other in the first, second and third images, especially the first because it creates a bit of an illusion as if she only consisted of knees and a floating head.

I think the balance between the white and grey in the fourth image is perfect. I don't really like what's going on with the way the sheet is wrapped around her though. I think if the sheet was wrapped around her in a way that it created more of an "S" shape it would accentuate the female form and create a nice compositional flow in the image. As it is I think it's bulky and divides her body into awkward sections.

In the fifth image, I think less purple in the white balance would look better, but without completely getting rid of it.

I feel like the skin retouching is a bit much in all of the shots and could be pulled back a little. As it is it's very obvious to me that she's been retouched, and the smoothness/blurriness almost looks as if there was vaseline coating the lens. I think frequency separation and dodging/ burning can leave behind some very noticeable footprints if not done with restraint, and with lighting as impeccable as yours I think it's safe to assume that a lot of retouching is being eliminated by your lighting at the moment of exposure. There shouldn't be as much of a need for retouching in post when you already have the light doing it for you.

Otherwise, great shots.

Last edited:
I think they're great, I'd be proud of them if they were mine ... but listen to Dan, he's spurring you on to do even better! :D

I echo Granddad, listen to Dan, he is the expert.

#3 and #4 are my favs ... but, (the big but) ... I find the sheet extending up from the head very distracting (so dump the sheet) and I would slightly darken the flaring on the hair a bit in #4.

All-in-all - Good Job!

The good/important points have already been covered, but I will add that this is without a doubt the best lighting you've ever posted here. NICE work!

Haha, this is receiving a better response than I expected. I personally don't think this is my best lighting, but I'm glad yall like it! And thanks for the feedback :)

Out of curiosity, do you bring inspiration images with you to photo shoots? I have a folder that I bring with me to photo shoots filled with magazine tear outs from fashion magazines, filled with images where I like the lighting, or the pose, hair, wardrobe, location, model, or other various things that grab my attention and inspire me. I never recreate the image, but having the reference with me for posing, lighting, etc is extremely helpful for both myself and the models, and if you're working with makeup and hair artists it also helps them by having reference images for the look you want. I interned for a photographer a few years ago and discovered he does the same thing. This is someone who has an extensive celebrity portfolio, was first assistant to Irving Penn for years, and has been regularly published worldwide in the top fashion magazines since the 80s. When I saw that a photographer of this level had an "inspiration folder" like this, I immediately started doing the same and it was extremely helpful. He would even sometimes pin the photos he liked onto a small foam core board and keep it behind him during the shoot for reference.

I've seen you grow a lot as a photographer over the last few years on this forum and think you've gotten really good, and I don't think you're far at all from being top tier.

Out of curiosity, do you bring inspiration images with you to photo shoots? I have a folder that I bring with me to photo shoots filled with magazine tear outs from fashion magazines, filled with images where I like the lighting, or the pose, hair, wardrobe, location, model, or other various things that grab my attention and inspire me. I never recreate the image, but having the reference with me for posing, lighting, etc is extremely helpful for both myself and the models, and if you're working with makeup and hair artists it also helps them by having reference images for the look you want. I interned for a photographer a few years ago and discovered he does the same thing. This is someone who has an extensive celebrity portfolio, was first assistant to Irving Penn for years, and has been regularly published worldwide in the top fashion magazines since the 80s. When I saw that a photographer of this level had an "inspiration folder" like this, I immediately started doing the same and it was extremely helpful. He would even sometimes pin the photos he liked onto a small foam core board and keep it behind him during the shoot for reference.

I've seen you grow a lot as a photographer over the last few years on this forum and think you've gotten really good, and I don't think you're far at all from being top tier.

Haha, wow. Thank you. That is really flattering and encouraging.

I have used a lot of references. Most of the time we just Google something at the shoot. But over time, of course, having done it time and time again, it's become more natural for me to learn what looks good (posing wise) and I can pose people without a reference. But I will agree that a lot of my better shots are inspired from other images.

I also have a Pinterest board where I pin poses and outfits I like.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app[/QUOTE]

Haha, wow, thanks! :D I'm always happy to answer questions too![/QUOTE]

Haha. You don't have to ask me twice. Would love to know your lighting set up for the standing portraits, if you don't mind sharing about the modifiers used.

The face is a bit whiter than the rest of the body. Is that cos of the make-up, lighting or processing?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Great idea Dan! I have a folder on my computer, but I never thought of taking a "Inspiration Book" to a shoot. I will have to start compiling one, or two. I may do one just for composite fine art photos. :)

Great work! And Dan has you completely squared away! :)

Haha, wow, thanks! :D I'm always happy to answer questions too![/QUOTE]

Haha. You don't have to ask me twice. Would love to know your lighting set up for the standing portraits, if you don't mind sharing about the modifiers used.

The face is a bit whiter than the rest of the body. Is that cos of the make-up, lighting or processing?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app[/QUOTE]

You got it. I use Yongnuo flashes (III and IV).

For #4, I had my main light in front of her and above to the right for Rembrandt lighting, diffused with an umbrella. And then I had two flashes behind her on either side lighting the background, diffused with the on-flash diffuser.

For #5, my main light was basically the same as #4, but then I also had a light directly behind her diffused by an umbrella, pointing at the camera (umbrella cloned out), and my background lights same as before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back