Just 2 for CC from Ocean Beach in SF/bay area

VegasPhotoNut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in San Francisco for the past week and shot these two at ocean beach near the San Francisco zoo. Obviously i edited them BW. Not very good at editing, and i heard its even harder to edit stuff for BW if you arent good at it. But here they are. Any CC would be welcome, havent posted in a while....

1. This was just a random guy sitting on this log. I really don't think he had a clue i was even taking his picture. I have cropped this down to a 7x5 as i am getting ready for a project with some pics from SF.
IMG_5494.jpg

2. This was a pier just down the beach about a Quarter Mile from where i had taken the picture of the man above. I thought it was interesting, with the Graffiti on it and all.
IMG_5467.jpg

Thank you for all the CC that i get.

My initial impressions: Question though - just curious - how did you do your conversions? Did you shoot raw or jpeg for these?

1) Horizon is too close to the middle for me, this tends to cut the image in half, so I am not quite sure which part you are trying to emphasize, the sky or the ocean/beach/guy component. The image itself is not that bad, nevertheless - the guy in the photo provides a nice focal point for the image. The waves in the ocean do not appear to be as sharp as they could be - either they are not in focus, or the shutter speed was not fast enough to capture them - don't know.

2) Beach area is too dark - not enough detail for me. Also, I would have expected more detail in the pier(?) on the right as you cannot really see the details of the graffitti.

General comments - these images appear to be all different shades of grey - there is not a real black part nor a real white part and this may be a function of the conversion, or any initial processing done before the conversion, if you did any. Also, I would have expected more contrast in the clouds in the sky - maybe this is just because the sky was grey and flat, I don't know, but there does appear to be some there, maybe some more contrast in the sky would bring it out. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Your thread has been moved to the Landscape & Cityscape Gallery per the description for the Beginner's Forum.

The Beginners forum description was changed a while back and is no longer a C&C or Gallery forum section.

There is A lot of detail on the pier but because it is so dark you lose any detail that would/should catch you eye. I would say move the horizon either up or down like mentioned above. I feel like I know where you were trying to go with this but I think the picture lacks emotion for me.

1. I agree with Western Guy about the horizon, I have a feeling that if there was more fore ground it would have made it a better composition.

First off, sorry about posting in the wrong section!

so i shoot in Raw, and then converted to jpeg. the first shot was at f11 1/400. maybe i should have used a larger aperture to achieve a faster shutter speed. i thought 1/400 should have been enough, but the more i look, your right they could be a bit more sharp. Just did a quick re-edit of Number 1.
IMG_5494-2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back