Just a conversation

Bitter is right about trying both methods for holding a camera, I don't use a monopod/tripod for any of my lenses, including the 400 2.8, I couldn't imagine trying to hold the lens without holding the lens correctly.

Interesting. Hand me the popcorn.

LOL Bitter. (I just love you for some reason).

I hold my lens from the bottom, not the top, which is normally the way people are taught. I use pretty much primes only so maybe that is part of the deal. Anyhoo, I have tiny wrists, and those damn lenses get heavy. :)

Just my two copper peices.

I never really thought about how I hold my lenses. Having no formal training in photography, I just did what felt natural. With a 70-200, my left hand goes on the bottom, my fingers can work the zoom ring, and the bottom of my palm can give support to the bottom of the camera via the battery grip. Also my elbows can tuck in tight to my body, for extra stability. I can shoot at 1/60 at 200mm, sometimes, depending on my coffee consumption.

I tried holding zoom ring from the side/top...Really? People try to shoot like this?

At any rate, having never seen her work, its not fair to judge, but poor technique in probably a good indicator.

For lighter, smaller lenses its not surprising that people can end up with the overhand grip - just raise your arms up infront of you and look at your hands position. Typically when relaxed they are facing inward with your thumbs facing toward your face - convert that to a lens holding setup and you've got the barrel of the lens in your left hand sitting in that thumb/finger divide.

That is a more ergonomic approach to hand holding - it is however not as practical with regard to stability and effective holding - esp if you start using heavier, bigger lenses.

I pretty much hold my camera however I want to hold my camera. I'm not gonna lie, I might be a bit sarcastic if someone were to approach me with grip techniques.
My main focus is being able to steady it, and manipulate the zoom/ settings fairly quickly. I compose and shoot.

If you are using a heavier (IE 400mm) lens, and plan on shooting something for a decent amount of time, maybe using a monopod would be beneficial, or at the least finding a way to steady yourself on something around you.

When I shoot the M-14, I'm all technique cause the SOB can get heavy with time, especially with any decent amount of distance.

When I am shooting

Ugg, love the "weekend warriors" that they think they are "pros". People say quite often that they are competing with the "weekend warriors" and cant survive. They are not competition to real pros, if they are competition for you, frankly you are the "weekend warrior". The cream always rises to the top. I have nothing against the warriors.

This is something I’m sure that has been discussed at length I’m sure, but being a pro just means you are getting paid, OTH getting paid doesn’t mean you’re the best or even pretty good it just means someone paid you to do whatever it was you did.
Even the player on the bench is a pro they just don’t play much and don’t get paid much.

I have seen shopping mall portrait shops dishing out $75 portrait packages by the dozen and lines out the door. if the public new the difference they would pay more to get more.

Most reactions

Back