just a couple of moon pictures, c&c please?

heavanslilangel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So the hightlight of my saturday night was sitting outside, camera on tripod, and shutter release at the ready.
These are a couple of shots i took last night.
C&c would be appreciated as im not sure if ive oversharpened.
First picture............iso 100, eposure time 1/125, f8
Second picture.............iso 100, 1/100, f5.6
:)
Taken with my fuji hs20 exr, no lens. i have ordered a telephoto lens which should arrive early next week so once its here im going to try again and see if i can get some better results.
Im also a bit disapointed in myslef because in the first picture if i had pressed the shutter release just a few seconds earlier i would have caught the aeroplane crossing right in front of the moon.

Attachments

• $DSCF6838.jpg
    $DSCF6838.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
  • $sharpened.jpg
    $sharpened.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 195
ISO 100! Really? To me the moon looks very noisy, maybe it's because of the resolution, but it's a great pic. Maybe try a slow shutter speed on the plane to get that light trail coming out:)

Hi joshua,
Yes def iso 100,
It was actually early evening when i took the pictures, well around 7/8pm. So still pretty light. i darkened the sky because the moon looked quite light in the original picture.
Also what do you mean when you say resolution and how could i go about changing that,(if at all possible). Excuse me if that sounds like a dumb question but im fairly new to photography and im self teaching. (or at least trying to anyway),lol
Your also are dead right about the plane though, a light trail on it would have looked fab. But i was in the middle of changing the settings on my camera when the aeroplane showed up and took me by suprise. which is why i got it leaving the frame.
maybe i ll have some better luck next time. :)

Taking pictures of pure black or very dark always results in more noise. With my old fuji at least, noise performance was far from good. Other than that both pictures look reasonable to me. There really isn't much to say when the camera is just pointed strait at the moon.

hi again,
resolution just means the clarity of the pic. or how detailed the pic looks. you can see in the background that there are random blotches of random pixels. Josh was right about the dark background. SO i tried figuring out a solution for your problem.
I quickly googled your cam on google and found out that it has a digital zoom. Digital zoom is your problem, as it really just crops your picture, and the more you crop, the resolution will go down. So i highly recommend that you get that telephoto lens as it will take the same pic, but make it even clearer! as it uses mirrors and other mechanisms that make it kinda like a telescope.
hope this helps:)

Joshua !!! your a star,
How simply put and easily understandable.
Thanyou for taking the time to look up my camera and helping me to understand. :)

Resolution means the pixel dimensions of the photo. Cropping reduces the pixel dimensions (reduces resolution) of the photo, which is why digital photographers generally avoid cropping if they can.

Under exposure makes image noise more visible. Every digital photo has some amount of image noise.

Oh, and the thread was moved because the Beginner's forum is not a C&C forum, per it's description

Hi kmh, thankyou for explaining some more. :)
To be honest i did wonder which forum to post it in........................... wasnt sure if to put it in c&c or beginner and chose beginner because ...............well i am a beginner. But i will remember for next time

Lol. No problem, I also took a quick look at your profile, i read your story. It was very touching and inspirational. I really hope that you get what you want and your dreams come true;)

I'm just getting started with DSLR's but back in my flim days when taking pictures of the moon I used the f16 rule just like a sunny day. f16 shutter speed at or near ISO. Is this different in digital SLR's?

Sid

Most reactions

New Topics

Back