Just a dum question ??

Had to stop baiting the birds , when my cat started littering the drive, yard and walkway with little bird corpses -- really didn't seem fair. Also, I need him to focus on the rodent population. Figure I'll try the suet again for the woodpeckers, that should be ok... I hope.

I just set out four feeders a few weeks ago. All different types of feeders to attract different species. It would be great to get shots of them in trees or brush but right now I'll take what I can get. So far only a pair of chickadees going after suet cakes.

The feeders have been in the yard longer than I have. The birds are accustomed to me and I can stand in the open 10 feet away and get shots. I can stand next to a feeder after a couple of minutes they cautiously fly up grab a seed then fly over to the tree and eat. In the winter I can feed Chickadees by hand but have yet to get an image. Hummers will hover inches from my face when the feeder needs a refill. It's surprising how loud they are that close. You just need to move slowly when you have to move and spend time out there so they know you're no threat.

Bird feed is great for this, especially if you want to capture some photos of hummingbirds. About the only way you'll ever get one of these is with some hummingbird feeders.

Most reactions

Back