Just a few snapshots with my new 50mm.

Consider shooting people in portrait orientation. Looks like they're a little soft. What's your shutter speed on these?

I do but I always end up liking the pictures in landscape orientation better. And my shutter varied between 80 to 125. But I had my aperture wide open most of the time so that could of been a contributing factor

Note to self: Just because my lens has a maximum aperture of 1.4 doesn't mean I have to shoot it at 1.4! ;) With very fast lenses, focus becomes a huge challenge. Looking at the images you've posted, I estimate that your DoF was in the order of 1-2" at most. Impossible to get even a person's head all in focus with such a shallow DoF. Check out this DoF calculator to get a better idea of how little area you might have to work with. As well, if you have a 'smartphone' you can download a DoF application for that to always have with you.

TI makes a good point here. I had to break myself from always wanting to shoot wide open. F1.4 is a lot shallower then you would think and a few of the shots you posted above are a bit soft, #1 in particular. usually f2-2.8 is good to get the whole head in focus. Plus your camera has good enough iso to compensate for lighting so you really dont have to push the lens as hard. But a 50mm can be lots of fun.

TI makes a good point here. I had to break myself from always wanting to shoot wide open. F1.4 is a lot shallower then you would think and a few of the shots you posted above are a bit soft, #1 in particular. usually f2-2.8 is good to get the whole head in focus. Plus your camera has good enough iso to compensate for lighting so you really dont have to push the lens as hard. But a 50mm can be lots of fun.

I agree ^^. The 1.4 is much sharper at around 2.8 than it is wide open :)

Most reactions

Back