Just a quick hello..

Parago

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I just wanted to say a quick hello to all of you and maybe introduce myself a little (although I never really know what to say..)

My name is Angie, I'm 31, I live near Atlanta, GA, I'm married and have a little 4 month old baby girl. I've always been into photography - my dad gave me my very first camera when I was about 5, an amazingly heavy and bulky Olympus god-knows-what-model-number and I absolutely loved taking pictures of everything and everyone I could get a hold of.

Right now I'm thinking about getting more serious about it, I want to buy a D-SLR as soon as possible but am still unsure about what model to get. I'm also looking into classes - I'm sure about 'having the eye' for great pictures but I also want to learn about technology, techniques, history and everything else there is to learn about photography.

I've looked into betterphoto.com and also found a course at Penn Foster Carreer school that looks very interesting - any feedback on either one is greatly appreciated!

Anyways.. I'll wrap this up - this is me, saying hello and hoping to find interesting people, magnificent pictures and inspiring conversations.

Angie

Welcome to the forum.

Just about any DSLR will be a pretty good camera. In my opinion, Canon and Nikon are the clear leaders in this field...but Sony, Pentax, Olympus etc...all have pretty good DSLR cameras as well.

For the entry level models...
Canon has the Rebel XTi or it's predecessor the Rebel XT. Very good cameras. The next model up is the 30D.

Nikon has the D40, D50 and D80...in ascending order.

Both companies have pro level DSLR cameras...that are both amazing and incredibly expensive.

As with film photography...the lens is a very important part of the equation. DSLR cameras usually come with a 'kit lens'...which is just a cheap lens to cover the basics. They aren't terrible...but they aren't all that great. If you budget allows...consider upgrading the lens...or getting another lens that will suit the type of shooting like to do.

Sounds like you will fit in well around here :D

Welcome Angie. Enjoy the Forum.

Big Mike said:
Welcome to the forum.

Just about any DSLR will be a pretty good camera. In my opinion, Canon and Nikon are the clear leaders in this field...but Sony, Pentax, Olympus etc...all have pretty good DSLR cameras as well.

For the entry level models...
Canon has the Rebel XTi or it's predecessor the Rebel XT. Very good cameras. The next model up is the 30D.

Nikon has the D40, D50 and D80...in ascending order.

Both companies have pro level DSLR cameras...that are both amazing and incredibly expensive.

As with film photography...the lens is a very important part of the equation. DSLR cameras usually come with a 'kit lens'...which is just a cheap lens to cover the basics. They aren't terrible...but they aren't all that great. If you budget allows...consider upgrading the lens...or getting another lens that will suit the type of shooting like to do.

Sounds like you will fit in well around here :D

Thanks BigMike..

Yea, I can't decide between the Rebel XTi or the Olympus Evolt E-500.. guess I'm gonna have to flip a coin.. :blushing:

Between those two...I'd go for the Canon. The biggest reason I see is the lens choices...The Canon uses the Canon EF and EF-S mounts. Which has a great selection...and some of the best lenses in the world of photography.

The E-500 uses the 4/3 System Lens Mount...which, from what I know...is somewhat limited in terms of selection...but slowly getting better.

Big Mike said:
Between those two...I'd go for the Canon. The biggest reason I see is the lens choices...The Canon uses the Canon EF and EF-S mounts. Which has a great selection...and some of the best lenses in the world of photography.

The E-500 uses the 4/3 System Lens Mount...which, from what I know...is somewhat limited in terms of selection...but slowly getting better.

Good point. Thanks for your input! :sexywink:

and because its using the 4/3's system you can't get as wide of an angle as you would with canon.

however, i have heard alot of people rave about olympus glass.

but will 4/3's stick around? if it doesn't then you might get stuck with the same selection now in 5 years, and your lenses won't be compatible with larger sensors if olympus decides to change.

newrmdmike said:
and because its using the 4/3's system you can't get as wide of an angle as you would with canon.

however, i have heard alot of people rave about olympus glass.

but will 4/3's stick around? if it doesn't then you might get stuck with the same selection now in 5 years, and your lenses won't be compatible with larger sensors if olympus decides to change.

Makes perfect sense. So I guess it'll be the Canon. Thanks guys, for helping me end a battle that's been going on inside my head for at least 6 weeks now, all within a couple of hours! :hugs:

Most reactions

Back