Just a tugboat...

verticalization

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was quite pleased with this one.. taken with Canon SD780IS P&S

IMG_0172.jpg

Generally a very nice photo. a little more barrel distortion may make the boat stand out and thus the impact. just a noob humble opinion.

Vertical

Why don't you try cropping this shot as a portrait, removing most of the righthand side of the photo, up to the yellow building?

I believe there will be less distraction from the tug and the photo will be larger in respect to the tug.

They might be, but he's giving us the source of where they originally showed, so ... and with you having quoted them, I can't erase them any more even by deleting his post ...

I would actually like to see how the pic looks cropped. I do like the shot though. Something about it.

Last edited:
Hi LaFoto,

What if I delete my post?

Sorry, I didn't mean to make a problem, I was concerned about the forum probably infringing Copyright. :(

Yosi - that looks like a pretty beefy tugboat.. pretty sweet

pbelarge - heres what i came up with with the crop.. it almos feels a little tight to me, but, i do like the portrait crop a lot better. I also tried to increase the contrast a lil bit with curves. sadly this was shot in jpeg and not with my dslr so it seems as tho theres not as much room to play with it.

IMG_0172.jpg

Blue and yellow complement each other. That's possibly why you like it so. ;)

And Wino: it's no problem. That poster did not try to pass those photos off as his own, he gave the source. That should be ok.

Thanks all, heres another from that day.
Also, sorry i forgot to resize the edited crop before i uploaded.. whoops

IMG_0170-1.jpg

i noticed on this one i cut off a few things (a very tip of the front, and one of the bumpers on the side), i feel it could be better if it would have been a little wider)

Much prefer the original crop to the vertical one. The horizontal crop gives a better sense of being there although I personally would have moved the camera a bit to include more of the dock on the left and get rid of some of the uninteresting part of the background to the right.

The vertical crop makes it look too much like a inventory shot. Here's my boat. Period. If you know what I mean.

In the second image, the vertical works fine because it is a much tighter shot and you are overwhelming us with the colors. As you noted, it is too bad you cut off the very front of the tug. The bumper being cut off doesn't bother me at all but I would clone out the stuff on top of the "seawall" right in front of the boat.

Overall they are both pretty nice photos. The first one is very much what I look for most of the time in color photos. Images about color.

Most reactions

Back