just another DC experience

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This post is not intended to state any political position and is NOT subject to politcal debate or comment!

whew, think that'll work? :lol:

Elsaspet's recent KKK coverage sent me to the archives. this old protest/rally post from the fall has no photographic intention except to show you what i see almost daily. the message was 'end the war' and their intention here was to deliver the names of all the iraqi war dead to bush....and as usual were met at the fence by some who thought it might not be a good idea. excuse the varied image sizes and low quality....anywho:

25072123-L.jpg

lots of banners

25072128-L.jpg

25073135-L.jpg

25072134-L.jpg

a memorial

25072126-M.jpg

speakers included Ghandi's grandson

25072131-L.jpg

time to deliver the names to bush

25072141-L.jpg

uh oh

25072137-L.jpg

25072139-L.jpg

25072143-L.jpg

they crossed and were detained. awaiting arrest, they read aloud the names of the war dead and passed them out for spectators to read as well

25072125-L.jpg

25072142-L.jpg

25072132-L.jpg

25072129-L.jpg

25072133-L.jpg

the gentleman on his knees (hearts on shirt) is the father of the first young american beheaded in iraq

25072124-L.jpg

arrests begin

25072135-L.jpg

lady waving struck a chord with me

25072138-L.jpg

a concerned spectator watches as the arrested are taken away

25072140-L.jpg

thanks for looking

Those are pretty cool shots, I like the last one alot.. and the one of the guy getting arrested.. I think it's funny when people piss off the cops thinking nothing will happen. Oh.. and Ghandi's grandson.. maybe they care who he is, I just think that's kinda dumb lol.

all of these touched me jon...thanks for the whole series...they are great..and seem so much more powerful in b&w....so you see this every day? this kind of things...?
i love the shot of all the caskets....with the flags over them... that is startling.
if that doesnt make you swallow hard, something is radically wrong with you...

thank you thank you thank you, jonmikal ..for sharing.
makes something far away get very personal.

These are quite powerful images Jon!!! Glad you dug them up from the archives!!! I can't choose one that really stands out b/c they are each so good, and tell the story well!!! Excellent work!!!

I seem to recall when you first posted these....I thought they made an excellent series then, and still think so now.

Nice work. :thumbup:

Unlike all your crisp photos, I don't think you need to excuse yourself with these series of shots. To you it might be low quility, but to others ,like me, I think it makes these photos powerful and expresses the emotions at the protest/rally. Well done. Thx for sharing them.

very well done Jon, excellent from a PJ point of view., it's much more interesting seeing what goes on in the world from folks like you and Elsaspet. The real world news is much different from what we read in the papers, and see on tv., and it is awesome to see point of "view" forn everyone here!

Good luck regarding your first statment in this thread, I hope also, that everyone looks at these shots from a photography standpoint.

I like the whole report. Gives an incredible mood.

I hope also, that everyone looks at these shots from a photography standpoint.

for me, photographer should be everywhere, no matter what he thinks about the event. Photographer is to show what's going on all over the world to the rest of humanity.

I didn't pay attention to the photographs as they stand here, only to the meaning. And I am full of appreciation to Jon that he was there and shared the photos with us, no matter what he thinks

Great series Jon. All have a very powerful statement, and are done very very well. I feel that when a series like this of a protest, or something to do with every day life, is posted, we basically see through the eyes of the photographer, and can be touched by what he/she can see.
Excellent work Jon.

As per usual Jon, Excellent set of photos. This for me is reminiscent of the old civil rights photos protesting at the washinton monument. It is sad that we have to live in a time where things like this should happen and where police would arrest our own citizens for protesting. But order must be maintained I guess, either way nice shots and black and white was the icing on the cake for me.

Oh gosh Jon, those are sooooo excellent. I got goosebumps on the one of the coffins. Another two that will be burned in my memory is the one with the hands, and the bit of uniform with the kwik cuffs.

Stunning. Simply stunning as always. I honestly believe these are some of the most touching and emotional I have ever seen you post.
Thanks for giving us the look into what will become our children's history.
So sad..........so real

mpdc said:
What protest was that?

one you obviously missed...where were you??????? :wink:

back in the fall of 2004, just before the election.

Most reactions

Back