Just because your friends & family think your photos are good, doesn't mean they are.

CourtneyAK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am VERY new to Photography, as I just got my first DSLR for Christmas. I've been taking a lot of nature and landscape shots, and just took a few pictures of a friends baby yesterday. I had a photographer friend make a comment to me on Facebook, that I should take some photography classes, as I have an eye for photography....but then continued to say that just because your friends and family think that your photos are good, it doesn't mean they are....so with that being said, I wasn't sure if she was complimenting me, or telling me my photos stunk! So, is there a good place to post photos to get others thoughts? I just joined this forum and am still exploring...

Thanks!
~Courtney

Your family and friends probably know nothing at all about photography... so almost anything you do, they will probably praise (which will make you feel wonderful!)

But when dealing with people that know photography, the standards will be much higher. The vast majority of stuff that is on Facebook, is poorly shot, poorly processed, and is often poorly shot and badly OVER processed!

When you post photos here, keep in mind that some C&C may seem harsh... but it is meant to help. Don't get your feelings hurt... just learn!

I wasn't sure if she was complimenting me, or telling me my photos stunk!

The commenter may have seen some glimmer of talent, but raw talent is only part of it. The rest of the story is skill.

As in most human endeavors, success ranges from not good to very good. Where do you wish your work to be?

.............But when dealing with people that know photography, the standards will be much higher. .......

And when dealing with people who 1. are strangers and 2. you expect them to part with their money for your work, an even different set of standards will come into play.

After looking a your Facebook page, I'd agree with your photographer friend. I don't think it was insult, just a compliment with cautions attached. Before you run out and take classes, start with books...

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Photos: Michael Freeman is a good one, as is "learning to see creatively"

There are two sides to photography (essentially) technical skill and compositional skill. You'll need to hone both.

Have fun!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The photographer was being nice but realistic. You're 25 days into your new camera. Learn it. Enjoy it. Take family and friends comments with a grain of salt. Resist Photoshop actions and presets to make up for faulty images (because it's gonna happen and looks like it already has).

I looked at your FB page photos. Yeah...some instruction and learning about photographic techniques and compositional theories would help your work improve. Today's sophisticated d-slr cameras can "take" a good picture...with proper use on the part of the photographer, it's possible to "make" good images with the same camera. Kind of a difference in approach--the concept of taking photos versus making photos.

Having a good eye is important but technical expertise is crucial. As others have said, your friends and family are looking at your photos entirely differently than an experienced photographher would. Just like you might tell someone they have a nice singing voice.. but that doesn't mean they are ready to go into a studio and make a record. You have to take whatever raw talent you may have and learn to refine it using the tools you have available. Not everyone can be a great singer, ballplayer, or photographer but with practice and instruction you can always improve your skills. If you post pictures here and receive constructive comments and criticism take them to heart and use the knowledge to improve. I think most of us would like to see you succeed and would offer any help you need.

99% of my photos on facebook were taken with my phone! The few that are in the album titled "My New Camera" is where I've started....some arent my favorite shots, but my mom and I both go together on "Photo adventures" and take a lot of shots of the same thing, and compare to each others... I believe that all of my photos are open to public to be commented on, I would love your input directly on anything!

I was more interested in sports photography to begin with, as I had stollen my moms camera this summer and shot my kids playing baseball and quickly became addicted. Now I just feen for getting out and just shooting ANYTHING...I can't put the camera down.

Ordering The Photographer's Eye as we speak...I've started with The Nikon D7000 for dummies...as that's how i'm feeling when trying to figure this thing out!

Having a good eye is important but technical expertise is crucial.

I think you got that backwards. :sexywink:

OK. I would concede that I may have it backwards. Would you agree that one is not worth much without the other ?

A good eye is far more important then technical expertise. A image taken with great technical expertise that has really poor composition is still going to be a bad photo.

There's a difference between taking fundamentally good pictures, and having an eye for photography. You can work on the technical aspect... having a good eye is a blessing that is much harder than changing some settings on a camera or post processing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back