Just Bought a 50mm Lens!! Love it!!

I meant to add the word FOOT into the word TELEPHOTO, just to be funny, because you have to zoom with your feet. Perhaps it didn't really work :)

It sounds like you're loving your new lens! I only have two lenses, but the 50mm is my baby.

It sounds like you're loving your new lens! I only have two lenses, but the 50mm is my baby.

It is a baby!! So small, yet so powerful. I was shooting indoors in a church sanctuary with available light using this lens with shutter speeds of 1/125 and 1/60, on ISO 400 film. No tripod, handheld. It's awesome!!

What is your second lens? Just curious.

Welcome to the 1980's...a fast 50mm lens and decent 400 ISO color film...

to those weaned on pokey 18-55mm f/3.5~5.6 kit zooms, a 50mm lens with an f/1.8 or f/1.4 aperture is a mind-opening experience...it's what almost every SLR camera sold in the late 1970's and into the mid-19809's came with--a "fast fifty".

Hand-held shooting at 1/125 and 1/60 second in indoor conditions at ISO 400 was "a given" 25 years ago. In some ways, the photo industry has pulled the wool over the eyes of today's entry-level customer by foisting off a low-speed lens that would not have ever sold 20 years ago; at that time, f/3.3~4.5 in a 35-70 Nikkor was a "slow" zoom lens sold with entry-level cameras; it is amazing how pathetically slow the camera makers have gone on entry-level zoom lenses.

Most reactions

Back