Just bought a Camera: next steps?

tuesday

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just recently bought a Nikon50 digital camera. Im a newbie´s newbie, been taking point shoot photography for years and tweaking them in photoshop to make the effect i want. But this year, I´ve made a decision to really learn photography. Did I make the right choice for a camera? Should I have opted for a real SLR camera instead of a digital one?

I also want to know if you can suggest some photography books to read for a newbie like me

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to TPF. You did buy a real SLR, you just bought a digital instead of a film SLR :) As far as books, there are many you can choose from. Go to the library and check some out. One book frequently recommended for beginning is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Might also want to pick up a book on composition as well. Now get out there and start taking pics.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with what Johnboy2978 said. You have a great camera and that is a good book to get you started.

I also suggest hitting a library, you don't necessarily need books about digital photography because the basics of exposure (shutter speed, aperture) and the characteristics of light are the same now as they ever were.

I second Big Mikes' suggestion of hitting the library...an excellent source of (free!) books on digital photography, and photography in general.

"Should I have opted for a real SLR camera"

When you get a shot with your new camera that you *really* like, take the memory card with the shot on it to Target (or any other store that offers digital photo printing), and have it printed as an 8"x10". It should come out fantastic, and show you how 'real' your new DSLR is. Have fun!

I just recently bought a Nikon50 digital camera. Im a newbie´s newbie, been taking point shoot photography for years and tweaking them in photoshop to make the effect i want. But this year, I´ve made a decision to really learn photography. Did I make the right choice for a camera? Should I have opted for a real SLR camera instead of a digital one?

I also want to know if you can suggest some photography books to read for a newbie like me

A Nikon D50 I a real SLR. About as SLR as they come. You just chose digital film instead of emulsion film. Did you make the right choice. Well lets consider the two and you decide.

1. Do you have a dark room or are you planning on buying/building one and learning to work in it?

2. If the answer is no to #1, would you rather have to take your film out of the camera, take is some where, have some one else process and maybee even print your photos for a fee? After paying for the film to shoot. Or would you rather work in a digital darkroom and learn to adjust you photos to give them maximum Pop?

3. If the answer to #1 and #2 is both no then we can stop here. If the answer to either is yes then the next question is do you have an overwelming need for film? A profession perhaps that you will be taking pictures that requires positive or negative film for publishing. Or are you an old dinosaur like me that is slow to change (after 30+ years I have finally retired my Nikon F2's, sold my darkroom stuff and gone digital) who can't bare the thought of learning something completely new and give up a trusted friend. (Fortunately for me long before I went digital I was using photoshop at work and know how to use it.)

4. If the answer is no to 3 then, Do you not own a computer, which would make digital a very difficult thing to deal with? (Ok I admitt a dumb question, you posted here right) But do you have a decent printer to print only the photos that you want or at least access to one? (That can be a valid concern)

5. If #4 poses no problems is there any over riding reason for YOU to want to use film instead of digital? There are still valid reasons for film, do you have one?

Well what do you think. Keep the D50 or return it and get a film camera? Only you can really decide, but those are some of the basic considerations I would look at.

As for books. Big Mike hit it on the head. Library cards are free and the public library is a great place to learn. I would suggest that you check out one book. I find it to be a great book for inexperienced photographers. That would be Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera by Bryan Peterson.

Good luck and have a lot of fun with your camera.

I agree with all the above. Enjoy the camera,don't second guess you purchase, It is a good camera.
Enjoy the journey!

Most reactions

Back