Just bought a Sony Alpha DSLR-A300, test photos C&C

Norwood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
These are a few test shots I've taken after buying my DSLR camera. I'm just looking for a lil advice on what I did right and what I did wrong in these shots.

1. It was really cold out when I took these first 2
DSC00481-1.jpg

DSC00491-1.jpg

DSC00471-1.jpg

DSC00470-1.jpg

They're all in landscape mostly because I kept forgetting to change it.

I haven't taken as many shots as I would like, mostly cause I still need a case, another decent lens, and a tripod.

Last edited:
i also live in colorado and use the mtns and streams to your photographic advantage....... nice pics

1. Seems to be fine… a bit more focus wouldn’t hurt, but otherwise, good.
2.Needs clarity… set your focus to the sign, and try to blur the background more. An external flash could be used here, although it would also add further problems, so with just a few touch ups, it should be fine.
3. Needs clarity. Unfocused, almost. The dog seems a little blurry… set your aperture to the dog, not blend it all in.
4. Know your kit. If you can’t zoom it, get closer, stand on a ladder… you could crop it, but then the image quality is almost non-existent when you try to expand the picture. If you can’t take it, don’t… it’s not hard to find a bird perching on something, so unless it’s an amazing, one-chance shot, don’t bother if you can’t take it properly.

You're centering the subject in your shots...dead center is deadly. Try not to center the subject as it makes the picture static and boring. Learn about effective photo composition - Digital Photography Composition Tips

How To Improve Your Photography - 5 Easy Tricks

How to Make a Killer Photo using 8 Simple Composition Rules

I'm not familiar with the A300 but learn how to take control of the camera...don't let it decide on the exposure setting and focus points for you.

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Most reactions

Back