Just Bought Kenko Extension Tubes - What next?

Super Simple

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been asking around for advice on lenses and the like, and decided to start with the Kenko extension tube set:

Kenko International

Kenko-EXTUBE-DG.jpg

I got it here:

Kenko Extension Tube Set DG Series Lenses

That was the best price I could find = $152 AUD / $163 USD. (Half what it was on some other sites. They're not available in any stores here -- I checked a few.) Should arrive in a few days.

I'm going to be doing some reading over the next few days while I impatiently wait for it to arrive. (I'm dying waiting...)

But I'm wondering if anyone has some pointers for a beginner :blushing: on what I should start out with to ease into things. Or what things can I do with them, and what things can I not reasonably do with them? Or where are some tutorials that you would recommend? (I can always find tutorials, but I figure if I ask, people can point me out to the best ones. e.g. If someone were to ask me about programming tutorials, I'd point them to the Code Project.)

Any and all input is welcome and appreciated~! :)

I think I'm missing the question. These are for macro work or when closer focusing is needed. So go take some bug portraits!?! I'm just making sure because how you worded your question it seems you just bought these without knowing what they're for.

Are you using a Canon? Look out for the error 99. That's my sum total.

I think I'm missing the question. These are for macro work or when closer focusing is needed. So go take some bug portraits!?! I'm just making sure because how you worded your question it seems you just bought these without knowing what they're for.

Probably not worded very well...

I know that they are for closeups, so that's solved. :)

But I'm guessing that there are typical mistakes that beginners like me make. I suppose that's the kind of information that I was looking for.

I've seen them talked about in the context of insects and flowers, but not sure if I could use them for closeups of faces or if there are other uses. e.g. Can I use them for any kind of distance shots?

Or am I asking silly questions?

Nikon D5000.

But I don't know whether you're just messing with me or if that's a real error...

Nikon D5000.

But I don't know whether you're just messing with me or if that's a real error...

I don't think he's messing with you. I don't think they'll help you with distance shots. They only allow the lens mounted to have a closer focusing distance. You will also lose light and possibly the ability to focus to infinity? I may be wrong on the last part.

As for pictures of faces, maybe eye shots. I know there are some 300mm+ lens whose close focusing distances are 10, 15 feet and more so they could be great for backyard birding/nature fun.

I do not own any yet so maybe Someone who knows more can chime in and go more in depth about them.

If your looking to extend the "reach" of a certain lens you would look into teleconverters.

What you can do with them depends on what lenses you attach them too.
I recently learned you can use them on a telephoto lens for taking pictures of birds.
You will have to experiment a bit and find out how each tube, or combination of tubes does, then use your noodle to find ways of putting them to use.

Thanks for the input!

I'll be using them with my AF-S 18mm~105mm. (My first and only lens. Still very much starting out...)

That was a fantastic walk through, and has given me a much better understanding.

As soon as you move the lens out from the camera body you loose infinity focus.

I didn't know that. Thanks!

You will need a good tripod

I've got a decent one that my dad gave me, so I should be ok on that front for a while, or at least until I get a lens large enough to warrant a better one. The link above made it clear that a tripod was required. Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately bugs do not stay still, so you cannot follow them with a camera on tripod. Learning to have a steady hand or the use of flash to freeze the subject becomes mandatory. So far I have not used flash.

Most reactions

Back