Just bought my first full frame Nikon (D600) Need a good first lens suggestion <$500

CR88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I just purchased a D600 and I am looking for a good all around every day FX lens. I am open to buying used as well, I just want to stay under $500. Any input would be appreciated. I plan to buy more FX lenses as I can afford to, especially primes, but for now I am just looking for something that is decent quality that can get my by for general use and allow the camera to live up to its capabilities. Thanks!

What's wrong with the 24-85 kit lens they normally come with?

The 50mm 1.8G can be had for about $220, and the 85mm 1.8G for about $500. These are both very nice lenses. The 50mm being a 'standard' focal length and the 85mm being great for portraits. I have both lenses and I like them both.

35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D. Around $300-$350 used, depending on the seller's motivation and the lens's condition and the area of the USA.

35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D. Around $300-$350 used, depending on the seller's motivation and the lens's condition and the area of the USA.

+1

I just scored a 24-120 AF-D for ninety clams.
fiufiu.gif

Yeh, what is wrong with the D600 kit lens ?
I have the 24-85mm VR and I love it, a very good lens.
You can get it around 300$-350$ used as I did.

Yeh, what is wrong with the D600 kit lens ?
I have the 24-85mm VR and I love it, a very good lens.
You can get it around 300$-350$ used as I did.

I don't have any complaints about it either, 'ceptin' it's a wee bit shy on the long end for me. That's why I picked up a 24-120 D for now, and will save my egg money for a 24-120 G.

I have to agree here, a good used copy of a 24-85vr can be had for $300-$350, and is very good for the price. sold my 24-70 to fund other things and have not missed it one bit, the 24-85 is good enough for me

I have to agree here, a good used copy of a 24-85vr can be had for $300-$350, and is very good for the price. sold my 24-70 to fund other things and have not missed it one bit, the 24-85 is good enough for me

I would be dead without my 24-70, never leaves the camera except when the 85 or 300 go on once in a while

As they say opinions are like butt holes. Every buddy has got one. Well here's mine. I looked long and hard at the 35-70 2.8 D What a great lens. BUT
Look at the sellers descriptions at the big stores.. They list slight hazing, fungus, lens separation because of glue separation. Well I shy'd away from that one. My next go was the 24-85 3.5 G Great range But look at the rating Its rated 22 on the lens scale. The 85MM 1.8 G is rated at 40. Read the reviews. 138 gave it 90% 5 star, the other 10% gave it a 4 star. 500'00 will buy you a new one with the US papers. IMHO Later Ed

P.S. I want to get the sharpest pics I can get without investing 1000.00 plus

Last edited:
As they say opinions are like butt holes. Every buddy has got one. Well here's mine. I looked long and hard at the 35-70 2.8 D What a great lens. BUT
Look at the sellers descriptions at the big stores.. They list slight hazing, fungus, lens separation because of glue separation. Well I shy'd away from that one.

keh.com. Most, including myself, find them to underrate their gear.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Actually I just bought the body. Picked a refurbished one up from B&H, so no kit lens. Should be in tomorrow though...yahoo. :)

24-85 sounds like the range I am looking for, but would prefer a brighter lens. I also like the 35-70 especially being a 2.8, but the reviews, as oldhippy mentions, have me a little concerned. I have heard from many that the 24-85 is a good lens for the money though. I did come across a refurbished 24mm 2.8 and a 20mm 2.8 well within in my price range.

I went for a 50mm f1.8 ... I just dont like normal zooms. In that area of focal lengths, prime lenses are definitely much cooler.

A lot of people who use the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 rave about its quality vs cost

Most reactions

Back