Just bought my first L lens

jdsfighter

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jdhpro.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I finally did it, through a combination of dumb luck and impulsive spending, I purchased the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. I was at work today (Best Buy), and a gentleman came in, he had just purchased it, hadn't even slapped it on his camera yet, and had a case of buyers remorse. The store he had bought it from sold it for $1499.99. My managers began to freak out because it was a massive hit to today's revenue. So thinking quickly, I told my manager that if he sold it to me for the same price, I'd buy it today.

So now I have a brand new lens, and a very angry father who doesn't understand why I dropped $1600 on a lens.

Congrats. Enjoy.

Does this mean that Best Buy sells this lens for $1499? I'm getting in my car.

Lol no, the other store had it as an open item, and they'd be sitting on it since January. So they undercut it by $1000 and sold it to the man.

Tell your dad what the actual walk-in retail price is on that lens!!! You just made a MAJOR score on it!

WOW! That's a great price. L series lenses tend to hold their value extremely well. If you tried to sell it now you'd probably find that you could get more for it than what you paid.

It comes to this: If you're SERIOUSLY into photography... you're probably going to own a 70-200mm f/2.8 "eventually". You are ABSOLUTELY not going to find that lens (new) for that price anywhere else. Also, L series lenses tend to hold their values extremely well. "Used" L series lenses don't depreciate all that much.

...and now you've had your first taste of the "L" drug. This is how it all starts. :drool:

...and now you've had your first taste of the "L" drug. This is how it all starts. :drool:

I've learned the hard way there is no 'L Users Anonymous', or 'L Watchers' programs. No Friends of Bill L, no Jenny L diets, nothing. There is no help for this strange addiction...

PS...FANTASTIC catch! <drooling...>

I've learned the hard way there is no 'L Users Anonymous', or 'L Watchers' programs. No Friends of Bill L, no Jenny L diets, nothing. There is no help for this strange addiction...

PS...FANTASTIC catch! <drooling...>

Haha, so true.

That's an amazing price, I just got mine and paid considerably more.

Congrats!!!! You'll never like a non "L" again. lol. Great deal on it too.

It was such a strange coincidence when it came in, I was calculating my finances to see when I could afford the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm. I was actually considering buying the 70-200mm for full price after the wedding I'm shooting Saturday, but now I have it for the wedding!

Best Buy is a tough place to work. I finally realized I didn't have enough money to work there. lol

Yes, even moreso since I've gotten into photography. Everytime a good deal comes up, I can't help but grab it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back