Just bought the D3200 kit...

jDeLaBay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
and with it came the 18-55 lens and the 55-200 lens. The is my first DSLR and did about two hours of reading before I even turned the camera on.

I've discovered that the 55-200 lens is superior to the other. What is the point of even using the 18-55 lens? Should I just sell it?

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond!

Welcome to the world of DSLR's im new too and have the exact same kit you have! Everyone owns the 18-55mm because it comes with most cameras. The 18-55 lens is nice, has a larger aperture (smaller f number) which lets more light in then the 55-200. This sounds stupid but I use the 18-55 as much if not more then the 55-200. What are you interested in shooting? Somethings to consider if shooting landscape, Filters, tripod, and External Flash. if sports is your thing, Monopod, faster lenses, and patients! You will learn alot off this forum, but just be patient. There are alot of smart asses on this site but its the internet, what would we do without them? Enjoy!! It can be frustrating at sometime haha!

Thanks for your input!

I don't have any set plan on what I'm going to shoot get. Pretty much anything and everything along the way. One of my New Years resolutions were to take more photos, and it should be a lot more fun with a DSLR. I've always been decent with photography but have only used point and shoot cameras. I'm also familiar with Photoshop, and have been doing minor editing for the last few years.

I actually haven't shot with the 55-200 yet. But after your reply I'll keep the 18-55 around for everyday, run of the mill photos. I was thinking about selling it for a speedlight, but I'll probably just buy a speedlight anyway.

When do you switch lenses? When your subject is further away than usual?

Your lens question is kind of a trial and error one. I shoot sports.. When its wrestling I LOVE the 18-55 because its aperture is f4.2 which lets alot of light in. Gymnasiums suck to shoot in because of the lighting. Trust me! For skateboarding and other outdoor shot especially night landscaped i really like the 55-200. If your really wanting to capture detail from a distance i use the 55-200, but to be honest I never leave the house without both because youll never know what youll run into. Dude, go buy a tripod haha youll use it alot more then you think. Also, get familiar with your camera. Theres nothing more upsetting then going to an event to shoot and sitting there adjusting settings for the entire event bc you dont know where things are on your camera.

For one, the 18-55 covers a zoom range the 55-200 simply does not have.
The 55-200 can't do 'wide-angle' shots (landscapes for example) while the 18-55 can.

Of all the lenses I've owned or used over the years the 55-200 was by far the worst. If you do a search on TPF you'll find a lot of similar comments. If you're going to sell either lens that's the one to get rid of. If you need an affordable zoom that produces excellent images I'd look at a 70-300 VR. That being said you should figure out your camera, figure out what you like to shoot and practice practice practice, before dropping a lot of dough on gear.

The 18-55 lens would be the "superior" lens if you needed to shoot say, a birthday party indoors, or to take photos of a family holiday meal. The 55-200 would force you to shoot a "kids around the dinner table" photo from 25 feet away, from the next room...

The 18-35mm range on the 18-55 lens is VERY handy when working indoors, or outdoors in a confined space. There is a very specific reason that Canon,Nikon,Pentax,and Sony ALL make 18-55 kit zoom lenses, and sell a huge percentage of their kits with 18-55mm zooms...

Thanks for the input guys! Just wanted to know if I should give one of them up for other accessories (speedlight, extra cards/batteries/, remote, etc) but until I can afford a better zoom lens I'll just keep them both around.

Until then I have to just take some shots to figure out what I need! What would you guys buy first after this kit? I'm thinking a speedlight and diffuser for indoor events and fill flash.

Also, if I get a remote for the camera, is there something that controls the menus/options so I don't have to touch the camera and risk bumping/moving if I'm doing multiple exposures?

I don't agree with the comments that the 55-200 is not a good lens. I have the DX 55-200VR and I find that it does a very good job and I'm totally satisfied. I don't know if there are inferior versions of this lens out there. I carry both the 55-200VR and an 18-70 in my bag. I'm satisfied with both. My daughter just got a D3200 and her 18-55 kit lens is just fine for most anything she shoots; although she mostly shoots pictures of her new baby indoors.
If I were you I'd keep both lenses and you will cover just about any situation you encounter.

Lenses are like women, some are much better from far away, others are good up close. But its always good to have as many as possible.

Ok this analogy kinda got off the rails.

and with it came the 18-55 lens and the 55-200 lens. The is my first DSLR and did about two hours of reading before I even turned the camera on.

I've discovered that the 55-200 lens is superior to the other. What is the point of even using the 18-55 lens? Should I just sell it?

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond!

I think you probably have your answer, but I thought I'd just add where I'm at in case it may help you any. I also have the d3200 and I currently have the 18-55, the 55-300, and the 35 1.8 prime. I'm reading a lot and trying t learn how to use what I have fully. I still have a lot to learn. I am using the 35mm a lot, but still find times where I need the 18-55. You may want to read up a little of how the crop sensor works and that may help you some. So far, I don't think I'll get rid of that 18-55 until I have a nice lens that covers those times where I'm forced to be close to the subject (tight area) or when I want a wide shot.

I do think there are some folks that know exactly how they will use their cameras and then they only need to cover certain things. I'm really interested in taking all different sorts of photos and learning light and all of that.

Anyway, have fun learning. I'm really enjoying all of this and hope you do too.

Most reactions

Back