Just Curious..

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
How far on average to you 'travelling' photographers travel for jobs?

I haven't been going long, and haven't done any advertising and so far I've been called out from a company 90 miles away for product shots, and an individual for portraits 130 miles away so far.

Is this normal? I mean surely there's more local photographers to them.

Anyway, was just curious to see.. thought I'd try lighten things up after all this credit crunch talk ;)

So how far have you gone (literally) for jobs.

All or most of my clients have been in my city but being on the very western edge of my city, I've had to drive a fair way to get to clients who are on the east side....maybe a 30 or 40 minute drive.

My policy is that I'll drive anywhere within 100km of the city, without charging for travel.

I think this is another one of those questions that is relevant to YOU. If you live in the boonies then 90-130 miles might be understandable. If you live in a metropolitan area I would try and find closer clients or charge per mile after the first 60 miles.

Love & Bass

You're right! The thing is I don't live in the middle of nowhere, and neither do the two clients, we're all near quite big cities - Just thought it was weird. I know I'd try find a local photographer first but then again if travelling costs are fairly low then what's the difference.

I don't mind travelling at all, but I was just curious as to whether this is something I'm going to have to get used to, plus, it makes me wonder about marketing etc.. I was going to keep it pretty local but it could be worthwhile expanding a little bit.

Ah, sorry, just my little thoughts/ramblings.. :lol:

I think living in Scotland your going to get more traveling about than some are ;)
I think with the current financial climate I would market as wide I could - make a limit for yourself on traveling - up to a certain distance free - after that charge extra. This will help prevent you getting out of pocket when paying for fuel to travel to these destinations - and remember you have to value for both directions (getting there and back again)

I started off in business in Aberdeen and had clients travel to my studio for xmas portraits from Edinburgh in the south to Inverness in the north for my specials, I also had many inquiries from all over Scotland for weddings etc. I mostly turned these down due to the distance and my lack of local knowledge of their areas and operated within about a 50 mile radius, however if the client is willing to foot the bill for time + travel I'de gladly accommodate them, its their dough and its nice to get out for a day or so. H

I charge a travel fee for any job outside my county (or about anything farther than 15 miles).

I charge a travel fee for any job outside my county (or about anything farther than 15 miles).
This is the same thing that I do. I mapquest it and charge .58 a mile. I came up with that number from my fulltime job. They pay me .58 a mile anytime I have to travel anywhere.

Cheer guys.

I do charge mileage (at a rate to cover expenses and time) but I think I'll start charging only out-with a 25 mile radius or so.

I just got another job booked, 25 miles away, then a ferry, and then another few miles lol. I don't mind the travelling as it is good to get about. I suppose if travelling expenses aren't too expensive people will pay that little extra rather than using a local photographer?!

I guess it's quite common, I was just battling with myself, like Flash Harry mentioned above.. Is it worthwhile keeping yourself within your "Known Zone" or just go ahead and go the extra mile.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back