Just developped my first roll!

Soulreaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all.
Seems I am in the process of joining this fine comunity : Just did my first roll 8)
Trouble is , I blew it... :( I used the time for D76 pure strength, but I had diluted it 1:1.As I watch it dry right now, I can see the negative is a little on the clear side.Cant see much contrast in it at the moment.
Can I fix it at printing or must I just scrap it up as experience?

thnx all.

As long as it's not completely clear something should print. How long did you develop it for, and how long should you have developed it? If the negs are really very thin, then it's likely it was underexposed.

I developped it for 9', when i should have developped for 14'.
It is aTMax400, and temp was close to 19 centigrade.
I have also noticed some purple lines close to the edge of the neg , which might indicate infiltration of chemicals due to enthusiastic agitation.
Ah well...

Dont know about underexposure, i was very careful to zero it at all times.
Have to work on manual for the duration , but I am getting the hang of it.
Isn't it developping related?

As for printing, should I go for a high contrast filter?
In a way its lucky, next class is about filters :lol:

Congrats on your first roll!! Don't worry about it, don't we all screw up on our first roll? I know I did, but I have my dad to blame! He thought I could roll the film with the safelight... so I got nothing! I hope you can make something work out of them! :D

Thanks oriecat.At least u can blame it on someone :D
I guess they'll print, only there wont be detail in some dark areas.Exposure times should be really short too.

I reread the part about developping in my book and it could be underexposure like ksmatish said, or underdeveloppement.The neg is both thin and flatish.

If the sun comes out Ill take another shot at developping today.It's a lot of fun to do.Its a pity it might die out.Just read it today that digital is selling a lot more than expected.Kodak is laying more ppl off.Too bad.
Most of the cameras sold are cheap low res ones too...

Soulreaver said:
I have also noticed some purple lines close to the edge of the neg , which might indicate infiltration of chemicals due to enthusiastic agitation.

Dont know about underexposure, i was very careful to zero it at all times.

As for printing, should I go for a high contrast filter?

Opaque purple lines on the edges are probably where the film was pressed against the reels, and wasn't developed and fixed enough, but no big deal as long as they aren't in the image area.

Zeroing the meter is just a starting point, and depending on the scene and the type of meter, may not be accurate at all.

Start out with a #2, and then make your decision from there.

Development time does affect neg density and contrast, but the effects will be subtle eyeing it; they will be much more apparent on the print. The difference between 9 min and 14 min wouldn't make negs appear significantly thinner. After about 3 to 6 min in the developer your highlights (dark areas on the neg) are almost done, the additional time is mostly working on the shadows (light areas on the neg). Unless it was an overall dark scene, the negs should show dark highlights and clear shadows. Also, if you "zero out" the meter on a dark scene, you are already overexposing, as the meter is telling you how to get middle grey.

Film geeks take heart, check out what Arizona Highways magazine has to say about images from digital cameras.

http://www.arizonahighways.com/page.cfm?name=Photo_Talk803

Thanks for the answer.
ksmattfish said:
Opaque purple lines on the edges are probably where the film was pressed against the reels, and wasn't developed and fixed enough, but no big deal as long as they aren't in the image area.
what do you mean, a kink in the film?

ksmattfish said:
Zeroing the meter is just a starting point, and depending on the scene and the type of meter, may not be accurate at all.
Yea,had trouble with some scenes.Those pics were made using the central area meter.I was also using the center spot meter, but I guess Ill use the matrix one for most shots.
But except about whites or blacks, i dont overrule the meter.

ksmattfish said:
After about 3 to 6 min in the developer your highlights (dark areas on the neg) are almost done, the additional time is mostly working on the shadows (light areas on the neg). Unless it was an overall dark scene, the negs should show dark highlights and clear shadows.
Also, if you "zero out" the meter on a dark scene, you are already overexposing, as the meter is telling you how to get middle grey.
They were taken in the morning, about 8:30.The light was okay, not an overcast day.
Its the shadows I am worried about, some light areas in the negs show no detail , as if it was all black, without texture even.That could be under development, or not?

A kink in the film could also do it, but sometimes the film presses tightly enough to the dev reel at the edges to keep chems from getting to that part of the emulsion.

It could be under development, but if the shadow areas are completely clear, then I'm not sure that 5 more min would have helped.

Anyway, wait until you print them, it's much easier to judge. They might turn out better than you might expect.

I enlarged a couple pics today, the result is good, but I had to use a #2 filter and a #2,5.
They got somewhat dark, perhaps I overdid a bit in the time under the lamp, but got a nice pic.Perhaps some dodging and burning will make them good.Ah, well.

Thanks 4 the info and suggestions

Soulreaver said:
I enlarged a couple pics today, the result is good, but I had to use a #2 filter and a #2,5.
They got somewhat dark, perhaps I overdid a bit in the time under the lamp, but got a nice pic.Perhaps some dodging and burning will make them good.Ah, well.

If the contrast looks good at 2 or 2.5 that means you are right on the money.

ksmattfish said:
Soulreaver said:

If the contrast looks good at 2 or 2.5 that means you are right on the money.

Second roll is washing as I type 8)
Hope this one turns better.This time I followed the time to the second!(+- 7 secs :wink: )

I also tried some control of exposure, setting the dark details to zone III.
Lets see if I got it.

You said D76 at 1:1 for 9 minutes? that should be the right time for tmax. 14 minutes is really high. I dev. tmax 100 for 7 1/2 minutes at 20C and its perfect. Those times seem to be over stated.

Thanks Oriecat.Someday I`ll buy an enlarger (they expensive around here :( ), and then I`ll go full speed 8)

Havoc said:
You said D76 at 1:1 for 9 minutes? that should be the right time for tmax. 14 minutes is really high. I dev. tmax 100 for 7 1/2 minutes at 20C and its perfect. Those times seem to be over stated.A
Well, I do not have the TMax box anymore, but the book I have says that at 24C the time is 12'30''.
I was at 19C (actually 18.5 :) ), so the that seems about right

This time I raised the temp to 20C , by the book.
The neg is much nicer, density looks alright to me, the proud father :wink:
One frame has a streak from one edge to the other, about 0,5 cm large :(
It was the very devil to put the neg on the spiral this time, took me quite some time, and the neg kinked a little.My be my finger on the emulsion too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back