Just Did a Little Fighting Back

Here's a more detailed reporting of the bill: With Washington’s Blessing, Telecom Giants Can Mine Your Web History

(EDIT: Apparently, if you don't subscribe to the WSJ, it will allow you to read one article online, but after that there's a pay wall. At least that's what I can gather. I was able to read this article, but not a second one, so either that was my one article today, or the do allow some free content. If you subscribe or have not read anything else on the site, you should be able to see the whole article.)

I read that some advertisers were/were considering (I forget which) pulling ads on YouTube because of their ads accompanying hate videos, etc. I'd like to see more regulations/restrictions on what websites allow to be posted on their sites and what user information is collected; I suppose the threat of losing revenue is what might prompt some changes. Not that it should be the only way for things to change but I was glad at least some companies are trying to do something.

I suppose this didn't get much coverage at this point because it's something of a non issue by now; there won't be something that wasn't in place yet anyway (if that makes sense).

I love it and have pledged bucks.
"Viral GoFundMe campaigns have cropped up to return the apparent invasion of privacy, seeking to buy politicians’ web histories and publish them online for all to see."

Opera now includes a free VPN and it doesn't slow down your web browsing to a huge degree. I gather Chrome is likely to have one soon as well, so I think the end result will be a lot more traffic that looks like this to your ISP:

Browser | Download Free | Fast & Safe Web Browser | Opera

A little update on the recent legislation. Like all things government there's always a catch. The purpose of the resolution was to roll back rules (not a law) voted in by the Democratic led FCC. At the behest of Obama, the FCC enacted it's "Net Neutrality" policy which though it did include certain privacy protections for consumers it also attempted to bring the internet under governments control, by reclassifying broadband as a so-called Title II telecommunications service under the 1934 Communications Act. That reclassification placed broadband providers under the same strict regulations that now govern telephone networks. A move that government has been trying to accomplish since the inception of the internet, and something not mentioned on most of the news media. While they "claimed" there were no new taxes involved, a separate FCC proceedings sought to impose the UTC pass through tax on internet service. The 400 page ruling by the FCC was never fully revealed before it was implemented so the full effect of those regulations on the will apparently not be known now. The FCC tried to sweeten the deal by claiming they were adding protections for consumers. It's my understanding that the resolution just past, doesn't give away anything, it just blocks the FCC from regulating any aspect of the internet, including privacy concerns. I hope to see a copy of the resolution passed so I can read for myself the full effect of the resolution without the slanted views of the media.

A little update on the recent legislation. Like all things government there's always a catch. The purpose of the resolution was to roll back rules (not a law) voted in by the Democratic led FCC. At the behest of Obama, the FCC enacted it's "Net Neutrality" policy which though it did include certain privacy protections for consumers it also attempted to bring the internet under governments control, by reclassifying broadband as a so-called Title II telecommunications service under the 1934 Communications Act. That reclassification placed broadband providers under the same strict regulations that now govern telephone networks. A move that government has been trying to accomplish since the inception of the internet, and something not mentioned on most of the news media.

Stories tagged in the NYT for the past few years: Net Neutrality It's been a hot topic since some mergers and lawsuits in 2014.

It's a complicated issue and not just a matter of "government wants to control it." Net Neutrality - Public Knowledge

Last edited:
It's a complicated issue and not just a matter of "government wants to control it."

No disagreement from me on that point. On the one side are corporations looking to make money. On the other are the idealists who believe the government will protect them.

Now the whole world will know I like chubby women with large breasts.

Now the whole world will know I like chubby women with large breasts.
When they start following you, you'll know why. Some chubby girls paid for a list.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back