Just gave in and purchased CS5...i'm in love. HDR anyone?

SensePhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my college classes was Web Design and i still have all the books on CS4 so i finally decided to go all out and get the damn thing. (couldnt find a bootleg for a mac lol)

I'm still messing around and refreshing my memory but i tried this first since i've been intrigued by HDR images lately.

Before:
livingroom.jpg

After:
room.jpg

I took 3 shots earlier today with different exposures +/-2 intervals, i could lay more edit on it but didnt want it to look too unrealistic. Cant wait to go out and take some nature shots.:D

Wow, you've got some serious halos going on there...

I think this is a case where you need more than one exposure...

I would try to at least get the window balanced with the rest of the room. In both of your pictures, it's completely blown out.

Wow, you've got some serious halos going on there...

I think this is a case where you need more than one exposure...

I would try to at least get the window balanced with the rest of the room. In both of your pictures, it's completely blown out.

I'm still researching on HDR but i took 3 shots with 3 different exposures...any advice on how exactly can i get rid of the halos?

I don't do enough HDR to really say how to get rid of the halos ... it must be from some setting in whatever software you're using though.

I would try one exposure for the ambient light in the room, one for the window, and one or two between those.

(Really, you could probably do it with just one for the room and one for the window, but I guess more wouldn't hurt...)

Last edited:
.....any advice on how exactly can i get rid of the halos?
Don't use CS5 to make HDR's.

Adobe has made some significant strides but their HDR feature still doesn't compare to hdrsoft.com's offering, Photomatix Pro.

Last edited:
use photomatix. You can use the trial which is pretty much the full version with little watermark on it. I suggest for the dark eposure to make the window perfectly exposed (everything else dark).

Thanks guys ill give those a try

I just have to chip in... I hate HDR. I don't care how well executed or masterfully tone-mapped it is. I hate it.

That being said, congrats on CS5! I'll get it... someday...

You can simulate an HDR in PS from one image by inverting a copy and running a high pass filter on another and experiment with overlay, really nice images that seem very natural.Like someone said, HDR's are like steaks, overdone is way to noticeable and too rare makes no sense,get it right and you get hooked.:D

I just have to chip in... I hate HDR. I don't care how well executed or masterfully tone-mapped it is. I hate it.

If it's done right you can't tell. I'm willing to bet you've seen plenty of HDR images that you had no idea were HDR. This one on the other hand looks...well...um...yeah.:confused:

I too hate this 'HDR' business, and this image is not good at all.

If it's done right you can't tell. I'm willing to bet you've seen plenty of HDR images that you had no idea were HDR. This one on the other hand looks...well...um...yeah.:confused:

You beat me to it! Sadly, it seems that, in the minds of many rutted photographers, the term 'HDR' has erroneously come to mean 'seriously overdone tone-mapping'. As you mention, though, the really skillful HDRs aren't unrealistic-looking or over-done... one can only hate an HDR if they realize it is an HDR to begin with.

As far as your HDR, Colldfire, the other posters have really covered the essential problem... the halos. You probably won't have as much trouble with Photomatix. One thing I did notice, though, was that despite bracketing your exposures, you still missed detail in the window... the curtains are all blown-out even in the HDR. O|||||||O's suggestion used for a re-shoot should do the trick.

You're likely right that a few have slipped under my radar. But if you're shooting for realism rather than intentionally trying to get the "HDR look," then I'm more inclined to call it exposure blending anyway... something I'm not opposed to at all.

Don't get me wrong Colldfire... if you like HDR, by all means keep doing it. I just very much dislike the style. It's an opinion thing :)

Most reactions

Back