Just getting started, but would appreciate feedback

Antihero84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just like the thread title states... My wife and I purchased a DSLR for Christmas and I've been playing with it. Take a look and let me know what you think. What can I do to improve besides shooting all the time?

Last edited:
A couple of things - when you post more than one or two images, please number them as this makes it easier for someone to comment on them as they don't have to keep flipping back and forth to see which image they are commenting on. Also, you have posted a few too many at one time, most people will not comment if you post more than about 3 to 5 images - you have to understand that it takes a bit of time for someone to review your images and prepare a review for posting - ten images is just a bit more than some folks, including me, will comment on, particulalry if they are not numbered. You might get some comments if you edit your post and number the images and maybe think about reducing the number of images that you have posted. My 0.02¢, FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I think a lot of these are "typical" beginner shots. Not that it's bad, but there is room to improve.

1 and 2- What were you going for? A bad problem with beginner shots is that they will shoot meaningless things.

6-It's a little busy. No real subject to lock on to.

7- I think this could have been the strongest shot, had you got a lower vantage point and had the bread in the foreground. It kind of looks like a snap shot. Like you were walking through the market and said, "Hey look at the bread".

Way too many for detailed comments, but the last three, the building shots, are the best. They're well exposed and decent compositions, although the middle one is a little too centered.

It also helps us to know what mode you are shooting in and what your purpose was here-if you were working on composition, setting exposure, focus...

These are a bit dark and have a very heavy contrast applied to them. Which makes me think you are on an uncalibrated monitor. Monitors out of the box are far too bright for photo work

I think this could have been the strongest shot, had you got a lower vantage point and had the bread in the foreground. It kind of looks like a snap shot. Like you were walking through the market and said, "Hey look at the bread".

A larger image size would help too; I believe those are mushrooms, not bread ;)

I do like the third from the bottom. Nice use of turning negative space (the sky) into a leading line.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

WesternGuy - Good suggestions. I'll edit my original posts with numbers and use less pictures from now on.

Eric-Holmes - Pics 1 and 2 were exactly that, beginner with no real purpose. I think this was the second day with the camera. The headstones in the first pic are just very unique since they are made of iron, so I tried to capture them and take advantage of their colorful patina. I'm glad you liked number 7, that was also a bit of a snapshot -- and they were mushrooms. I liked how there were different tiers of boxes with soft focus, but I can see how a lower vantage point could make a more powerful image. I'll take that into consideration.

KenC - Thanks.

MLeek - I was shooting in automatic. Since I'm new, I'm working on my composition and trying to take advantage of using a DSLR. I'll probably be working on exposure and lighting next, maybe moving on later to aperture and shutter speed. I had no idea that my monitor could affect my photo editing, although it does seem obvious now. I'll look into it, but let me know if you have any suggestions about tutorials about calibrating.

jowensphoto - Yep, mushrooms. Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely reduce the quantity of photos and use a bigger size next time.

Last edited:
Nice job!
g.gif

Wait, so 7 is bread?! Me thinks I should see the eye doctor STAT.

The #1 mistake many new DSLR owners make is not throughly reading the camera's user's manual, and making sure they understand what the manual is telling them.

However, the user's manual only tells you what features, functions, and capabilities your camera has. The user's manual will point out how some of the features should be used.
Like using single focus for stationary subjects, and continuous fouus for moving subjects. The manual will also touch on when to use each of the 3 or 4 light metering modes your camera has.

The user's manual won't tell you how to do photography, because there is a lot more to learn - controlling depth-of-field (DoF), white balance, the exposure triad, exposure compensation, visual image composition, bit depth, color managment, and lots more.

Here are some links to some good tutorials - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

LOL that's what I thought... I'm not going to lie, I clicked and zoomed in. Thought those were portobello!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back