Just getting Started! Looking for advice!

KMaitland3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

My name is Kristin and I have a passion for the art of photography. Ever since I was young, I loved taking pictures and making scrap books and photo collages :)

At this point in my life, I have decided that I would like to pick up Photography as a Hobby on this side! If I can make money great, if not.. I still will have a passion for all the pictures and albums I create.

I wanted to get some advice from all the experts out there. How do I get started!!!!! #1 Yes, I need a camera and #2 Software program.

I am looking for advice on the best beginner camera... along with what software editing program to purchase... and how to get the best training on both using the camera and software!!!

Thank you all in advance.. I look forward to starting my new hobby- PHOTOGRAPHY!

~Take care.

Howdy and welcome! As a new shooter myself, I can't give much advice but I know many here will have some good pointers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do I get started

Well you start by simply taking photos. If you don't have a nice camera right now thats ok you can start with your phone.

Yes, I need a camera and #2 Software program.

I am looking for advice on the best beginner camera... along with what software editing program to purchase

There are LOTS of threads on here talking about what camera to buy I sagest looking over those. As for software you cannot go wrong with the $10 a month Adobe Creative Cloud subscription that gives you Lightroom and Photoshop.

Welcome to the site.

Welcome!

"The best beginner camera" will depend on your budget and your tolerance for learning quickly.

The "best training" will depend on your tolerance for learning. There are sites on the internet that offer excellent information, and many are free.

Tell us more about your current level of skill. Do you have a camera now?

Hello and welcome to the forum Kristin...

Welcome aboard Kristin.

As mentioned, you can pretty much get started with any camera, but since you want to make this a serious hobby (maybe more), then I would suggest a DSLR type camera. DSLR cameras have a much larger sensor (digital equivalent to film), which typically gives better image quality and more exposure options. Also, they have interchangeable lenses, which again, allows for many high quality options.

I would suggest looking at the options from Canon or Nikon.

As for software, I would suggest Adobe Lightroom to get started with. It is a 'workflow' software that can allow you to do most of the things you may want to do. It's a great catalogue for organizing your images, it's great for photo enhancements, it can help you create print layouts, book layouts, web pages, slide shows etc.

What it's not good at, is cutting a pasting, adding layers etc. For that, you will need an image editing program. The gold standard is Adobe Photoshop, and there is a 'lite' version called Photoshop Elements that would be OK as well.

Lightroom can be purchased for $150, which is a pretty good value IMO. Photoshop can only be 'purchased' via a subscription licence (it used to cost around $900). You can purchase Photoshop Elements, I think it's around $100.

A good deal that many people are currently using, is to get the Photoshop subscription (and have Lightroom thrown in) for $9.99 per month. The two programs work very well together.

No, I am looking at Nikon and Cannon Camera's at the moment- Possibly the Nikon D3200

Thanks Everyone!! I think my main questions is how to get training on using the software programs- such as lightroom??

I had a trial one time, but was so confused on how to actually use it :( Does anyone offer classes that you are aware of ?

There are classes on the internet for pay, not sure which software besides PhotoShop, but maybe Lightroom.

There are also videos on YouTube for free, but again I am not sure if any of them have Lightroom specifically.

Then there are learning sites on the internet, and you're on one right now. Another one is Cambridge in Colour.

Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

Go to the tab: "Tutorials".

Most reactions

Back