Just go a lense and don't have a clue what to do with it.

Texaseyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought a Vivitar72mm Macro Focusing Zoom 28-200mm 1:3.5-5.3 to go on my Canon AE1.
I got no instructions and would like to figure out how to use it.
I hear great things about this type lense as an all around lense but before I burn up two or three rolls of film I would like to get some working knowledge of it.
How does the Macro work? At what range to I take close ups.
Hell, to be honest, it took me a few minutes to figure how to take the lense cap off the damned thing.
What do you suggest?
My foremost need is to take some pics of the fireworks tomorrow night.
I have the lense, the shutter release cable and the tripod.
I have the camera loaded with ISO Daylight 800/30.
H E L P :oops: :oops: :oops: :!: :!: :!:

I'm not familiar with this particular lens, but here goes...

It probably goes into macro mode from the 200mm setting. There may be a switch to put it in macro mode, or it may just twist farther to enter macro mode. Once you get it in macro mode you'll have to play with a working distance.

Re: fireworks- no to the 800, use 100. ISO 100, about f/8 and about 1-2 seconds. Bracket your shots. Have fun. Good luck. :)

Big Bug is right about the film. High speed film does not perform long exposures as well as lower speed film. The different color layers start to expose at different rates, which causes color shifts.

You can also set your aperture at f/16 and lengthen the exposure to get multiple fireworks on a frame.

The best way to learn how a lens like that works is to take it out and try it. You don't have to actually shoot, just try to focus on various objects from about 2 feet away. set the lens at different apertures and see which one(s) allow close focusing. Some Macro lenses allow close focusing at all focal lengths, some only at one extreme.

I'm already playing with it.
It's gonna be a fun lense. Took some moon shots last night using the bulb feature. I had some 200 film loaded. Used different aperture settings and different times, 3, 5, 10, etc seconds. Anxious to see if they come anywhere close to my signature.
Thanks for the help.

Most reactions

Back