Just Got a Great Old (but new to me) Lens! 70-210mm f/4 from 1986

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Picked up two lens this week from Ebay. The second one, a Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 two-ring version, has not arrived yet, but should be here by Tuesday or so.

Prior to buying that one, I grabbed this 1986 Nikon 70-210mm f/4. It came today. Wow, it is sweet. Built like a tank. No plastic here, all metal. In great condition. Housing in excellent condition. Glass is clean. Came with both lens caps, a UV Filter, and the original metal hood. Auto focus works great with my D90, and is faster than I expected.
Price was very reasonable.
Now, if I just had a larger bag for all these new toys......
DSC_8259.jpg

Nice lens :thumbup: I've just started to discover old lenses too, it's amazing how well they're built compared to some of today's lenses, especially considering the price you can pick these up for.

Those focus really fast!!!! Straight f/4 all the way from 70 to 200mm....by today's consumer lens standards, this is a "fast" tele-zoom lens.

You'll probably still find this lens useful when the 80-200mm arrives, as that's a very heavy and bulky lens--the 70-210 f4 is preferable when packing light.

One old lens that I'm absolutely amazed with is the 300mm f4.5 IF-ED AIS. It's insanely small and light for an all metal 300mm lens, and the optics are SUPERB. I've compared it against a $6000 300mm f2.8 AF-S and the image quality at f4.5 was basically the same.

Most reactions

Back