Just got my 50mm 1.8G :-)

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's quite an excellent lens. It reminds me of the 85mm 1.8G more than the 35mm 1.8G for certain. The bokeh is excellent, the build quality is alright, and the sharpness is great. Focus accuracy after testing it for an hour in low light is quite accurate at f1.8. I'm quite happy with the lens.

One thing I noticed though: It's tight when mounting onto my camera. Unlike my other four lenses, the 50mm is a little snug twisting on (the last half of the twist). I can hear it a little bit when I twist it on, but it doesn't feel alarmingly tight... but still a lot tighter than my other lenses. I'm guessing this might just be a slight manufacturing inconsistency and nothing to worry about?

My one gripe about the lens aside from that is the focus ring (which I assumed would be as smooth to use as the 85mm 1.8G) is quite unpleasant.

Overall I've got to say I'm very glad I received this lens for Christmas (alongside the SB-700). I definitely would buy it over again if I were to break it, lose it, etc... I have a feeling it will be an indispensable prime in my bag. Very excited :)

Last edited:
It's quite an excellent lens. It reminds me of the 85mm 1.8G more than the 35mm 1.8G for certain. The bokeh is excellent, the build quality is alright, and the sharpness is great. Focus accuracy after testing it for an hour in low light is quite accurate at f1.8. I'm quite happy with the lens.

One thing I noticed though: It's tight when mounting onto my camera. Unlike my other four lenses, the 50mm is a little snug twisting on (the last half of the twist). I can hear it a little bit when I twist it on, but it doesn't feel alarmingly tight... but still a lot tighter than my other lenses. I'm guessing this might just be a slight manufacturing inconsistency and nothing to worry about?

My one gripe about the lens aside from that is the focus ring (which I assumed would be as smooth to use as the 85mm 1.8G) is quite unpleasant.

Overall I've got to say I'm very glad I received this lens for Christmas (alongside the SB-700); I definitely would buy it over again if I were to break it, lose it, etc... I have a feeling it will be an indispensable prime in my bag. Very excited :)

Oddly enough, I found my new 85 1.8G to be really snug when fitting it on my camera. Maybe it's just a new lens thing? (That was my first NEW Nikon lens). Glad you like it and can't wait to see pictures!!

Jake

Overall I've got to say I'm very glad I received this lens for Christmas (alongside the SB-700); I definitely would buy it over again if I were to break it, lose it, etc... I have a feeling it will be an indispensable prime in my bag. Very excited :)

Oddly enough, I found my new 85 1.8G to be really snug when fitting it on my camera. Maybe it's just a new lens thing? (That was my first NEW Nikon lens). Glad you like it and can't wait to see pictures!!

Jake

Wait, they sell lenses new? Huh.. who knew? Lol

I also received a 50mm 1.8 for Christmas and it was a snug fit onto my body as well... So much so that I stopped, took it off, and tried again. It was fine, just tighter when twisting than the kit lens.

I like mine a lot as well. I am having some small issues with the auto focus, but I'm pretty positive it's more user error than anything ;) I'm excited to find a day to get out and really shoot with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back