Just got my Cactus V5s and .... slight problem

im about to change the batteries and do another shoot

Ok so i just changed the battery and didnt try to shoot over 125 and i actually got shutter lag at 125. I need better flashes i guess

I used the brand new batteries supplied with the transceivers,
I seem to remember that when I got my Cactus triggers, it said that the supplied batteries were for testing purposes only, and that I should insert fresh batteries ASAP.

Im also upset that i really wont be able to shoot over 100mm hand held while using flash :/ .... i bought a 70-200 that has only been mounted to my camera when i first bought it!
The great thing about flash, is that it can freeze movement...both camera movement and subject movement.

The burst of flash is very short, maybe something like 1/1000....but maybe up to something like 1/10,000 (depends on flash model/type/power etc). This is why the shutter speed doesn't really affect the flash exposure. You get the same amount of flash exposure with the shutter at 1/30, as you would with the shutter at 1/160 or 1/2.

Part of good flash technique, can often include balancing the flash with the ambient light...and this is where you can use the shutter speed to control the ambient light, without changing the flash exposure. And while flash can help to freeze your subjects, even at slower shutter speeds...if you get too much ambient exposure while using a slower speed, you can still get blur...so you have to be aware of the lighting conditions and what the best balance will be, for you to get the shot you want.

Ok so i just changed the battery and didnt try to shoot over 125 and i actually got shutter lag at 125. I need better flashes i guess

What do you mean shutter lag ? you don't get shutter lag with a 5D, with flash you can shoot at 1/60 and freeze movement

What do you mean shutter lag ? you don't get shutter lag with a 5D, with flash you can shoot at 1/60 and freeze movement

I will play with my flash and see what results I get. I apologize for my ignorance of working with flash and im greatful you ppl are willing to share your knowledge. By shutter lag i mean the shutter physically creating a black box in the image. If this is the incorrect term what is the proper term?

I used the brand new batteries supplied with the transceivers,
I seem to remember that when I got my Cactus triggers, it said that the supplied batteries were for testing purposes only, and that I should insert fresh batteries ASAP.

Im also upset that i really wont be able to shoot over 100mm hand held while using flash :/ .... i bought a 70-200 that has only been mounted to my camera when i first bought it!
The great thing about flash, is that it can freeze movement...both camera movement and subject movement.

The burst of flash is very short, maybe something like 1/1000....but maybe up to something like 1/10,000 (depends on flash model/type/power etc). This is why the shutter speed doesn't really affect the flash exposure. You get the same amount of flash exposure with the shutter at 1/30, as you would with the shutter at 1/160 or 1/2.

Part of good flash technique, can often include balancing the flash with the ambient light...and this is where you can use the shutter speed to control the ambient light, without changing the flash exposure. And while flash can help to freeze your subjects, even at slower shutter speeds...if you get too much ambient exposure while using a slower speed, you can still get blur...so you have to be aware of the lighting conditions and what the best balance will be, for you to get the shot you want.

Thanks Mike, as always i need to shoot, to learn. Thank you for the info

I looked into the Cactus v5 set, but read that it was incompatible w/ the Nissin Di622, which is what I have so I decided against them. Apparently they are somewhat compatible, but maybe this is the issue.

From gadgetinfinity.com: Some dedicated flashes (e.g. Nissin Di-622 and Di-466, Sunpak PZ42x and PZ30, Sigma EF-530/500 DG ST for Canon, etc.) are triggered via system-specific pins instead of the central contact of the hot shoe. Cactus V5 does not work with these flash models.

I looked into the Cactus v5 set, but read that it was incompatible w/ the Nissin Di622, which is what I have so I decided against them. Apparently they are somewhat compatible, but maybe this is the issue.

From gadgetinfinity.com: Some dedicated flashes (e.g. Nissin Di-622 and Di-466, Sunpak PZ42x and PZ30, Sigma EF-530/500 DG ST for Canon, etc.) are triggered via system-specific pins instead of the central contact of the hot shoe. Cactus V5 does not work with these flash models.

Im wondering if that is why im having the shutter problem. I have a canon 199a flash that i havent tested other then for the background. I will test ASAP and let you know if i have the same problem with shutter speed

You do not have shutter problem. This is what I learned so far.

- Full frame camera more prone to this issue than cropped sensor body. Maybe the black band do happened on cropped body, but the shadow of the shutter (black band) did not fall onto the sensor because of the smaller size.

- Other people with 5D MKII having the same issue with other flash. Most of them get 1/160 while 1/200 is the x-sync speed of 5D. And the transmitter took a little time to transmit the signal. And that is the different between 1/160 and 1/200.

- People with Canon 580exII has higher chance to get to the max x-sync speed of the camera. Maybe the flash response faster.

- People who use more expensive trigger such as the Pocket Wizard has less issue.

- But studio type portrait type shots, you don't need a fast shutter speed.

- And the flash can freeze motion. (You don't think the camera shutter can freeze the motion of a bullet, do you?)

If you really want to go higher x-sync speed, I will be more than happy to trade my 40D with your 5D :D (you are welcome, no need to say thanks). You should be able to do 1/200 with my 40D (x-sync speed of 40D is 1/250, my PT-04 trigger can go as high as 1/200)

When i had the cheap chinese triggers (early ones) and 580ex they were a pain in the arse the flash would just keep flashing turned out you needed a 1meter lead between trigger and flash, in the end i bought these Seculine Twin Link T2D | PhotographyBLOG don't have any problem using 1/200 on my 5Dmk1, i would get rid of the Nissin and get some Vivitar flashes

When i had the cheap chinese triggers (early ones) and 580ex they were a pain in the arse the flash would just keep flashing turned out you needed a 1meter lead between trigger and flash, in the end i bought these Seculine Twin Link T2D | PhotographyBLOG don't have any problem using 1/200 on my 5Dmk1, i would get rid of the Nissin and get some Vivitar flashes

It's funny you posted that link, because all the reviews at the bottom are bad. From 2009-2011... :confused:

It's funny you posted that link, because all the reviews at the bottom are bad. From 2009-2011... :confused:

Had mine over a year, never had one problem, when they say they miss fire i think it is down to their flashes not recycling fast enough, probably a case of all the gear no idea

Last edited:

Pocket Wizard Plus II versus the Seculine Twin Link T2D Review

I really like my Nissin flash, however, it's the first one I've ever owned, so not much experience to go on. :) It's funny that you say to get a Vivitar though b/c I have one coming that should be here tomorrow! I'm very excited to try it!!!!

mc_hudd said:
I really like my Nissin flash, however, it's the first one I've ever owned, so not much experience to go on. :) It's funny that you say to get a Vivitar though b/c I have one coming that should be here tomorrow! I'm very excited to try it!!!!

Awesome!! How do u like the vivy??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back